• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pitman Arm help

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Helping a friend doing a SAS swap on a 84 B2. We need a pitman that is long, not drop long. But one that is further forward then stock. Where we want to put the axle under the frame, at flex it puts the tie rod/pitman arm into the diff cover. We want to move the mounting point of the pitman/tie rod further away from the diff cover. Any help? Drop distance not a concern.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The only problem I can see is getting one that will fit on the splines and output diameter of the BII steering box.

I would assume they are cast, so extending the stock one is probably out.

What about putting a bow out in the tie rod like the '78-'79 F-150's have to clear the center section of the axle?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
the tie rod angle or whatever doesn't matter as it would be drilled out anyways. We need something as flat as possible and the most distance between the gear box splines and the tie rod hole.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I understand that, but what I am saying is, why can't you put a bend in the tie rod like the '79 F-150 tie rod to clear the diff cover?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The arm from a IH Scout comes to mind, those things are lonnnnngggg. I have no idea if the splines would match up though.

IMO, I think it would be better to just relocate the steering box forward more.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The Scout arms are long.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
TireIron may have some input on this. He is going to be using a 2wd superduty pitman arm. It is 8" long or so and completely flat IIRC.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
give me a day or two to check on something with the superduty pitman arm. I have a 4wd but I went to install it today and it is the larger 36 spline and the rangers are only 32 spline. I need to measure and check the fitment of a 2wd arm and see if they have the same length advantage of about 1.25 inches longer than the stock 2wd ranger arm. the arms im looking at are the 99-04 ones. I'll keep you updated at what I find out.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
give me a day or two to check on something with the superduty pitman arm. I have a 4wd but I went to install it today and it is the larger 36 spline and the rangers are only 32 spline. I need to measure and check the fitment of a 2wd arm and see if they have the same length advantage of about 1.25 inches longer than the stock 2wd ranger arm. the arms im looking at are the 99-04 ones. I'll keep you updated at what I find out.
:icon_thumby:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, this it whats what. 2wd or 4wd doesnt matter, but I just picked up a pitman arm for a 2000 (99-04?) F250 superduty and be sure it has 32 splines!!! they are made in 32 and 36 and are identical except for the splines. The ranger and explorer boxes use the 32 spline arms. The superduty arm is 6 5/8th inches from center of hole to center of hole and my factory ranger 2wd arm was 5 1/4 inch hole to hole.

Remember that it will change the speed of the steering and the total angle of steering, you want to try and match up the pitman arm to the steering knuckles as close as possible, the factory is about a 1:1 ratio, so this will get me closer at least. The dodge knuckles I'm using are 8 inches from center of balljoint to center of steering hole which is pretty damn large.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh yea, the ford part number for the correct pitman arm is F81Z*3590*BA

This is my 2wd ranger arm with the superduty arm (the 36 spline arm is in the pictures, but the correct 32 spline arm is identical in everything but the splines)

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got the superduty arm in tonight and yay, I got my steering range back! I can actually reach the steering stops at the axle now and have a good ratio where I dont have to make 30 point turns to get in and out of parking spaces.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know if the 2wd arm will fit on a 4wd box? It appears that there is no difference in the steering boxes, but I'm worried that the arm may be different. It looks like the 2wd arm is flat compared to the 4wd arm, and that's exactly what i need to bring my drag link angle up a bit to match the trac bar angle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals