• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

taking out headers, 2nd bolt in, trouble

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey, so im trying to put in some JBA headers that i just bought for my 4.0 and the first thing that it said to do was take the bolts that connect the Y pipe to the stock manifolds off....soo we go under the car to the driver side manifold, and get 1 screw undone...but the second...we cant get the socket onto..we tried putting a wooble joint/U joint/swivel joint thing on to get around the transmission that was in our way..but we seemed to need a socket that was inbetween a deep and a shallow socket..to avoid the tranny, i am thinking about just getting a deep socket and cutting it shorter...

so after we couldnt get that one done, we stopped and here we are..no headers in....

if someone could help me with that problem, that would be great

ALL THE ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE, I WILL GLADLY TAKE ON TAKING THESE OUT! AND PUTTING THEM IN!

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I dont remember having any clearance issues, other than maybe with the starter... I used a few extensions on top one another to reach from under the tranny to the collector...I wasnt worried about breaking anything (craftsman).

Unfortunately with mine, the bolts were seized soo bad I have to snake my dremel tool extension with cutoff wheel in to cut the bolts.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mhmm yaa, it was just the bolt is in a bad spot for the sockets that we have...cant get it all the way up there cause the tranny..im pretty sure, unless we were missing something easy...

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
first spray the bolts with PB blaster (or another type of penetrating oil) let soak in a for a few minutes then dig in. as for short socket problems? I never remember having that problem. mostly i just used alot of extensions

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have been spraying pb blaster on almost twice a day for 3 days..to get them soaking...and i dont know why we are having problems..with the socket, but we are..maybe it just needs to be alittle longer than a shallow

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
did you guys go through the passenger wheel weel like they said to do in the instructions?

Kansasipi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried a swivel socket, that might give you more clearance. I don't remember having that issue I just needed xtra extensions like the others..

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i got them in after 12 hours of working on it..thanks for the help

Kansasipi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals