• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Price on new keys?

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My daughter just called and she lost her only set of keys to her 1998 mustang. She lost her other set a few years ago when her purse was stolen. After that I told her to get an extra set made. She never did because the guy at Ace hardware told her it would cost $70-$80 to get keys made. He must not have known what he was talking about. So now I need to find out how much it cost to get her car unlocked and keys made for her from a locksmith. Any idea what this is going to cost? Anybody got keys and ignition laying around for cheap?

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm not 100% sure but the ford dealer should be able to cut you a new one from the vin number but being this is sunday i wish you luck in getting into it any other way .

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Second that on the ford dealer. I believe yours is new enough to where they can do it. Also was her ignition key a plain jane key, or did it have a big plastic fob on it too?

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It had a plastic end on it larger than mine for my F150. So it might have a chip in the end right? She called a few minutes ago and she found her keys. They fell off into her brothers car in the floor. I will be after her to get a new set made. I want her to do it so she learns how to do stuff like that.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
being a 98 i am willing to bet it is a key with transponder in it, which can be pricey not only the key but programming it to cost around a hundred depending on how nice the dealer is, and if it does need to be programmed usually you have to porogram 2 keys at a time

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I keep the stock key in my wallet as a spare along with a brand new one that I use regularly and a new one hidden somewhere in my room. :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it has a chip yes, and does require programming. The dealer i work at charges 75 dollars to program a key, or two if they are both their. And that 98 shouldnt require two keys, but sometimes they do, to program them.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks guys, I will pass info to her so she can make some calls on Mon. I think parts dept should be open on labor day

mongoose289

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the walmart by me started selling those keys for about 50 or 60 dollars but they could only program a few diferent years of them

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok... for future reference....

If you lose your keys and have AAA (I'm not sure if you need the plus membership or not), but they will send a locksmith out to cut a new ignition key and open your door, no charge (I had this done with a BII I bought from a junkyard that someone swiped the keys from, cept I didn't tell them I just bought it from the junkyard, lol)

Newer Fords have transponder keys. They are anywhere from $40-$80 depending on year/model/where you're getting it at. Most cars require you to have two PROGRAMMED keys to be able to program a new key. There is a procedure for it as well, but I forget what. Dealers can program keys for you if you don't have two (although I'm not sure how the computer in the car/truck knows that you put a different key in when it asks for the second programmed key).

When I got my Ranger, I bit the bullet and bought two new keys in addition to the two that came with the truck, an programmed both. Two keys go with me in separate pockets, one stays at home, and one resides either in another place at home or if I'm away somewhere for an extended period of time (IE, off at college), it stays at my place of residence. Thus I should always have two keys so that a new one can be programmed. I have 2-5 sets of keys for each of my other trucks as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals