• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking Into A Swap

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm looking into runing a leafspring suspension system up front on a 2000 Ranger along with an axle swap. I'm doing my research, but what all do I need? I have limited knowledge on a swap like this and I'm sorta leeching off a friend and his dad's know-how and fab skills.

Anyone done the swap/conversion?

Any links to push me in the right direction?

Any and all help appreciated

Thanks,
Adam

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have just aquired a front axle along with leafs from a 92 wrangler. It is a dana 30 and stock leafs. I picked up the perches last night and plan on doing some measuring in the next couple of days. I got to get some steel to make the leafs fit the front and make mounts for the rear. I will probably post pics as soon as I start to show some progress. Kinda before and after pics.

Later Brett

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man, pics would be great. What are you doing to adapt the steering etc.?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't got that far yet

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im not doing a leaf swap, Im doing coils, But a D44 is a much better swap under the 98+ rangers as we are heavyer then the older rangers.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
what do you guys think would be the better way to go? Leafs or coils? I hear leafs are a common/easy/good way to go when upgrading from the torsion bars.... The people I'll be working with suggested leafs, but either way....

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had planned to go with leafs, then I sold all that stuff to go Coilovers, cause they perform better on the trail. Its alot more work and design but it will be worth it in the end.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would use coils, they ride much better than leafs.
If you get all the parts from a Ford suspension (radius arms, coil buckets, frame brackets, etc), I don't see it being much more difficult to set it up under there than with leaf springs.
Getting the steering linkage to clear the leafs can be a bit challenging sometimes, too.

It's debatable if coils flex better than leafs (or vice-versa) though. I've seen some very good flex from either.

'98up Rangers aren't necessarily heavier than earlier ones, but Supercabs (of any year) will be heavier than std cabs. I wouldn't put a D30 under any Supercab with tires bigger than 33s.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
'98up Rangers aren't necessarily heavier than earlier ones, but Supercabs (of any year) will be heavier than std cabs. I wouldn't put a D30 under any Supercab with tires bigger than 33s.
This is a good point, My truck is a supercab so I was thinking in the realm of supercabs.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the d44 would be the way. I read about Jim's B2 and he (or who ever wrote it) said that with leafs up front and full size axles it's road handling was greatly shit-i-fyed. I'm going to be pouring all my cash into this project and there's no way I could afford a DD. Do coils handle better then leaves on the road? I mean, I know some 250's and plenty of jeeps run setups like that....

To avoid having to fab up everything would I be able to just snatch a "complete" suspension system from a bigger truck from a junk yard, and modify it to run it on my Ranger? Besides softer coils etc... Like buy a junker f-250 and use everything from that?

Adam

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The problem with the 98+ rangers is that the frames just werent made for Solid axle swaps. I would say the a good setup for you would prolly be a TJ or XJ Radius arm style suspension. It is easy to setup and can be daily driven with no problems. You can even use an off the shelf kit and adapt it to your truck.

This is Under a 02 or 01 I think. Its what Im refering too.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would use coils, they ride much better than leafs.
If you get all the parts from a Ford suspension (radius arms, coil buckets, frame brackets, etc), I don't see it being much more difficult to set it up under there than with leaf springs.
Getting the steering linkage to clear the leafs can be a bit challenging sometimes, too.

It's debatable if coils flex better than leafs (or vice-versa) though. I've seen some very good flex from either.

I have a buddy who put a dana 30 under his S-10 and is currently running 38's. To my knowledge he has never had any problems with the axle. I am going to try it for now and upgrade the bearings and knuckles later.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a buddy who put a dana 30 under his S-10 and is currently running 38's. To my knowledge he has never had any problems with the axle. I am going to try it for now and upgrade the bearings and knuckles later.
Too bad we dont have the Dana30 post from the old forum. A dana 30 will not handle those tires very well. Specially the brakes.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Too bad we dont have the Dana30 post from the old forum. A dana 30 will not handle those tires very well. Specially the brakes.
Been handling it fine for the last 3 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals