• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heater core problem

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a problem with my heater core, it is not letting any coolant pass through it. When I took the hoses off of it and flushed it with a garden hose the water flowed just fine. Then when I hooked the hoses back up the coolant wouldn't flow through. I could feel the inlet hose get hot but the outlet hose wouldn't get hot. When I connected the inlet and outlet hoses together with a T-fitting the coolant flowed fine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's plugged up. Replace it. It's a 30 minute job on a 94 Ranger and you can get a new one for $20 at Autozone, Advance, etc.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How is it plugged though? I can run water with a garden hose through it just fine. Another thing is removing it. I looked in my repair manual and there is two different methods for '94 models and '95 and later. Is it possible I have to do the '95 years method because I cannot even see the heater core under my dash, let alone the four srews I am supposed to remove.

Quiksurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when these heater cores plugg, they internall bypass. drain it out all the way and see if it feels a whole lot heavier than a new one.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did that and it feels lighter than it does with water in it. I can even fill it up with water and blow it out. I think I may have a new problem. When I take off one of the heater hoses and just let the coolant run out in a pail the coolant comes out extremely slow. At idle speeds should the coolant be coming out in a solid stream? When I rev the engine up the coolant comes out a little bit faster. Could the water pump be worn so bad that it is not circulating through the heating system?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is only 1 way to remove the '89-'94 heater cores. They dash is COMPLETELY different than the '95+ dash.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya I did eventually get it out after fiddling around under the dash. When water starts to come out of the weep hole in the water pump does that just mean that the pump is leaking or does it mean it isn't circulating good?

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's leaking. It may or may not be pumping well; but it doesn't matter at this point since it needs replacing. I would do the heater core as well; also a good system flush wouldn't be a bad idea -- followed by refilling with antifreeze and distilled water.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals