• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 bronco 4x4 2.9 fuel problems?

phuckmerunnin06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 88 ford B2 with the 2.9 and a4ld tranny. 4x4. the truck sat for a year behind my neighbors house and now he gave it to me. he said it ran fine when he parked it only thing wrong was a transmission line was leaking. so i took it and and wont start. i got a new battery and it will turn over and not start. i sprayed it with startin fluid and it will start right up and run as long as i keep spraying the fluid in the throttle body. i put a new fuel pump on it thinking that was the problem and it wasnt. still the same deal. what else do you think could be the problem im guessin its some kind of sensor or something bad. but i dont know for sure. but i know its something wrong with the fuel delivery. she wont run without startin fluid. anybody have any advice on what it could be? any help would be greatly appreciated.

ive always had a love for these trucks namely the first gen rangers. ive owned 3 in my day. i know this is a very capable truck also and would love to her decent again. any ideas would be helpful
-Buddy

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Bad fuel pump relay? Bad/cut wires (had a parts rig like that, fixed the wires and it started).

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What's the actual fuel pressure looking like? Most 88s have 2 fuel pumps, I am guessing that you replaced in the intank?

Pete

RC Dan

I'm having the exact same problem. I've replaced the ICM, PIP, cleaned the injectors and fuel rail. The ignition is fine, it fires fine. It will run if I spray starting fluid in the intake. The fuel pumps prime when I turn the key. The fuel rail has quite a bit of pressure, it sprays all over if I push on the core. I've gone through all connections, checked and added a couple grounds, checked for voltage at the ICM, relays checked out, inertia switch isn't tripped.

I'm stumped completely. It ran before. It ran very well before. Then about a week ago, I had it running in the garage, it started cutting out when I gave it throttle. It would cut out more and more at a lower and lower throttle. And then, it died. Since then its drove me crazy. I've got it to sputter maybe a couple times.

upriverjoe

Reaction score
you should replace your fuel filter when replacing pump. you have a fuel pump relay switch on the pass. side fender wall, could be your problem? there is also a power relay switch there too don't get them mixed up. have someone lay under you fuel tank and listen to see if that pump primes when you turn your key on. you also have an inertia switch (fuel shut off switch) under your heater, pull back the carpet see if the button is pushed down (proper position when operating).
good luck

Last edited:

88broncoll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine sat for a couple of years and siezed the in tank pump and the external frame rail mounted pump. both pumps need to run.

RC Dan

I got mine running. Turns out there was a crack in the fuel line next to the connector on the fuel tank. Those lines they put in these trucks suck. They harden and become brittle. Anyways, I fixed the line, it started back up, and it runs great now.

What led me to look for holes is that I checked the core on the fuel rail, again, and I started getting air out. I tried priming over, and over, but just got air.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals