• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a 2005 Ranger...Questions.

2OOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Liters of fury!
Transmission
Automatic
I have needed a new car for a long while. Today, I found a 2005 Ranger, stripped down version, with 87,000 miles, and a new engine for $4300 bucks. Previous owner had a radiator leak, kept driving and a while later, killed the engine. A reputable shop rebuilt the whole enchilada and now I own it.

The truck is relatively clean, some bumps and bruises, but nothing a good cleaning will not help. The last Ranger I had was 10 years ago and I got smashed between 2 semi's on the freeway. I loved that truck!

So, Since I am new to the whole scene again, What do I need to know about these things? I am surprised with the performance (relatively) of this little 4. It doesn't compare to my father's 2005 Saleen supercharged Mustang, but it holds it's own.

I know it's a 2.3 but what is the architecture of this engine. I see Duramax and Zetech or whatever it is, but what do I have? What years were similar for these trucks? What are some good websites to view so I don't bother all of you with these dumb questions?

I appreciate all of your time. Sorry to bother you all, but after reading the posts on here, and seeing how cool you all seem...not to mention how excited I am, well I just couldn't resist!

Roy

Ps. Pretty darn clean Carfax report too. Yes, I ran one.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2.3l Duratec. 143 hp, about 154 ft lb of torque I believe. Fun, peppy engines that I *think* are built by Mazda. I drive one at work that has over 216k miles and it's still running strong. They were first introduced in mid-2001 and are still offered in the 2008s. That's about all I know about them.

wv_snranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l V8
Transmission
Automatic
I have an '04 ranger XLT with a 2.3 in it. The 4 cyl is kind of peppy, expecially under 40 mph or so, little bit difficult to pull out and pass other vehicles on the high way, but not too bad.

I've been able to haul moderate loads without being being bogged down too bad. (garden tractors, ATV's, furniture, etc....)

Im please with my truck, just went over 55,000 on mine.

I get a lot of "nice truck" comments, every one who asks thinks it's a 6 cyl, and are surprised when I tell them it's a 2.3 4cyl and how well it performs. Im planning on keeping mine, especially after the bad dealership experience :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals