• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Winch care.

tbcmarine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I just got my first winch all hooked up and mounted to my truck. I was looking for advice on taking care of it. Is it alright to have exposed to the weather? Or should I get some sort of cover for it? How about spraying it clean at the car was after going mudding? Stuff like that. Should I also have a kit switch, to cut power to the winch when I am not using it? I don't really know anything about winching. Hopefully within the next few days I can get out to the trail and try it out on a few little things to get the feel for it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've left the Warn XD9000I on my Ranger exposed to the elements for 13 years now without any issues (except for a bit of rust on the motor housing, and the red printing on the decals fading away (the large red "W" emblem is still fine though)).

On mine, I have deep-cycle marine type batteries. When I'm not using the winch, I just undo the wingnut terminal and disconnect the power lead for the winch that way.
The only real reasons to do this would be so no one tries to "run" your winch by sticking wires into the controller socket (it also could reduce the chance of a fire if you were to have a collision where the power cable became pinched or cut by crumpling metal and shorted out)

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The only real reasons to do this would be so no one tries to "run" your winch by sticking wires into the controller socket (it also could reduce the chance of a fire if you were to have a collision where the power cable became pinched or cut by crumpling metal and shorted out)
I never thought of the winch shorting out in an accident. I have seen 12 gauge connected directly to the battery short out and it is not a pretty picture, I would hate to see 6 or 4 gauge to the same thing. I guess that I figured in the case of an accident, I would have more to worry about that the winch, such as my 200# bumper embedded in someone's vehicle at head level, and the fact that my rig isn't even close to street legal in the first place.

I can see a cheap battery disconnect as being cheap insurance though, also helps prevent battery drain.

hick

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it's a new cable its a good idea to pay it all out to the last row and let with winch motor wind it back in while pulling your truck up a grade. Having someone in the cab steering with a just-in-case foot covering the brake helps keep it winding correctly and provides a bit of safety.

Usually the cable needs to be tightened like that or it will turn into a loose ball the first time you use it, causing the outer layer to penetrate through the lower layers causing an infuriating birdsnest.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I like to 'season' the cable with a bit of motor oil as well. It sounds odd, but if the cable is permeated with oil, it helps prevent corrosion, and corrosion greatly reduces the cables strength.

tbcmarine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, i did run the cable out already, and run it back in... pulling my truck so it is nice and tight. I read the manual that came with it acually :woot: people don't do that much now adays, haha. i was mostly worried about the snow in the winter, but I guess 4x4junkie has had his out for 13 years, so I should be set. I think I will ruin my truck before that many years comes around, haha.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like to 'season' the cable with a bit of motor oil as well. It sounds odd, but if the cable is permeated with oil, it helps prevent corrosion, and corrosion greatly reduces the cables strength.
Of course, bits of grit adhere to the oil and abrades it. Or that's my excuse for ignoring cable maintenance. I have galvanized again and it seems to look new forever. I broke my good cable so I didn't put in onto my new winch. But this winch has 5/16" so it fits well on the drum.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
That's very true Will. That grit can get washed off. The oil helps prevent the inner strand from corroding, which is pretty common.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Thanks guys, i did run the cable out already, and run it back in... pulling my truck so it is nice and tight. I read the manual that came with it acually :woot: people don't do that much now adays, haha. i was mostly worried about the snow in the winter, but I guess 4x4junkie has had his out for 13 years, so I should be set. I think I will ruin my truck before that many years comes around, haha.
I should probably mention it don't ever snow where I am, but I doubt water could collect in it, subsequently freezing (expanding) and damaging anything.

tbcmarine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I think just to be safe, I will invest in some sort of cover for it. I think I saw a Jeep with a cover on it's winch made by Warren the other day. Anyone have one of those? It just looks like a little tarp that is meant to fit over a winch.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I should probably mention it don't ever snow where I am, but I doubt water could collect in it, subsequently freezing (expanding) and damaging anything.
It doesn't have to collect water to be a problem, up here in the rust belt, just driving down the highway in the winter your vehicle gets bathed regularly with saltwater, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, or worse.

hick

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Mine has been out in the elements for many years before I got it but wasn’t used much. I have had it for about 4 years now and used the piss out of it.

The main thing is to take care the cable. Inspect often, rewrap the drum tight and neatly after every run for the next time out. Also as mentioned above lubricating the cable a few times a year is also a good idea. I coat mine with light oil once or twice a year.

As for ice/water being a problem no its not. Do lots of winter wheelin. Gotten the cable wet when cold and had the cable freeze, pull cable over ice imbedding ice into the cable. Hasn’t done anything yet to it.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cold definitely doesn't hurt them! LOL! However, they are not water proof... Even the ones that claim to be! If you play u-boat commander, plan on servicing the planetary gears once a year or so. No mystery in there. Just pay attention how it comes apart and put it back together clean and greasy.

The absolute best mod you can do now is replace your cable with synthetic. If you use your winch much, it is worth the cost. Much safer, easier to handle, lighter, floats, no burrs to rip fingers, no kinks and if it breaks it just falls to the ground instead of cutting up your truck or buddies.

Be very careful until you know what you are doing. You can generate some incredible forces while winching. Things can get out of hand and become tragic instantly. The winch and HiLift are the two most dangerous tools used in wheeling. They can hurt you!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals