• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hey FORD!!!

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looks like ford might finally have a little "push" to get the diesel ranger in the us.

http://www.mahindrapikup.com.au/4004730/ma...tive-models.htm

These tough litte trucks (read the specs - they are damn tough - fully boxed frame and all) are going to be on the US market in mid '08 or early '09 according to several publications, and thats right about the time I'm going to be needing a new truck smile.gif SO! ford! I like the ranger line-up, but if this truck DOES actually hit the US market, the ranger is pretty screwed.

GIVE US THE DIESEL DAMMIT!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Link doesn't work for me.... but I hear the F-150 is finally getting a 4.4l v8 diesel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

sorry bud...but we wont get it...steering weel is on the other side and i dont think the goverment will let any one drive on the left side of the road.....but it would be fun smile.gif
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I assume the "rectangular strong chassis" means fully boxed frame. I don't know, other than the diesel, I don't really see what it has going for it. That and the fact that it's fugly as hell and the box looks like it was ripped off of an early 80's toyota. I also wonder what kind of service and parts distribution they're going to have. Think they'll be teaming with an existing oem for parts/warranty/service etc? Or are you going to have to wait 6 weeks for an oil filter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking a Mahindra pickup will only be of interest to farmers who already have Mahindra tractors and a Mahindra dealer close by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking a Mahindra pickup will only be of interest to farmers who already have Mahindra tractors and a Mahindra dealer close by.

I doubt it, most farmers need something bigger than a compact truck. At best these things would be a decent grocery getter for a farmer, but usually you have to haul something to town that requires a real truck anyway. That and most the guys that have Mahindra tractors are typically acerage people, they seem to like their Toyotas, Hondas and Escalades.

Personally I think it looks like a cheap toy from the bargain bin at Wal-Mart.

There are about as many rumors about the F-150 getting a diesel when it redesigned in '09 as the Ranger getting an update. The latest one I have heard is they are adapting a european Land Rover diesel into a 4.4L. I am not sure I will believe it until I see it.

btw - that little mahindra has a 7.5 foot bed, 300lb ft of tourqe and is rated as a 1-ton.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder how a 5000lb truck will handle a 17,000lb gooseneck trailer like an American 1-ton, it looks like a very small compact truck. A modern 1-ton isn't a 1-ton, they can actually haul 2.5 tons in the bed and alot more on a trailer that would make that thing look pretty bad. Calling a truck a 1-ton because it can haul 1-ton is kind of misleading. It isn't so much a compact as it is a midsize capacitywise/weightwise, but it looks pretty small. The longest wheelbase for it is about the same as a long wheelbase Ranger, 1 inch longer to be exact, a far cry from a one ton.

Most guys don't even get a half ton (1500/F-150) anymore and skip to the 3/4 ton or full 1-ton (2500/F-250 - 3500/F-350) due to increased capacity/effeciency.

Man from what can see, that thing spanks the Ranger in hauling, and with a little diesel seems kind of cool, but a little expensive.
And just because it is rated to haul 2200 Lbs., does not mean it should be compared to a full size truck.
As far as styling, that is of course subjective, personally I think it looks like a tough little beast, very utilitarian, and I think the look could easily grow on me.
It will be interesting to see how the buying public responds to it. Because as I have stated before, most of the people on here, that jack their jaws about how all new stuff sucks, don't but new, so companys don't really care if you don't like it.
Flame suit on.

2.5 liters.......how cute

If you buy several years old you take advantage of the guy that buys new loss. I got a 3 year old truck for half the price of a new one, with 26k miles on it. Some of this new stuff is pretty interesting, I just can't afford it yet.

I wouldn't mind having one for a dd, but in a slightly more common brand. I can see the guy at the parts counter face already

I think you're missing one big point. This F-250 is a North American phenomenon. Everywhere else in the world an F-250 is basically unheard of as a personal vehicle. Even an F-150 would be rare. This truck is perfect for the European/Asian marketplace as an F-Series equivalent and as gas prices increase here we'll also start being more concerned with efficiency and size more than how much room it has for our huge asses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think I would call it an F-Series replacement. When you start towing larger loads, the most important thing to keep in mind is the weight of your tow vehicle versus the weight of the trailer. It may be able to tow more, but it is still the same weight as a ranger. It does have the two things I would like to see in the Ranger though, a diesel and a fully boxed frame. Other than that, I think it'll be a flop.

Just my drunken .02

-krug

Stupid Crap if you ask me. I mean if i want a diesel it would be for towing and compacity and i would therefore get a larger truck because more weight to the wheels will help towing, and if i got one for fuel economy i would get a lightweight car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Would that thing haul a livestock trailer? Grain wagon? We are talking about 100 sacks of feed to 40. That is another trip to town which with twice the fuel even with better milage plus the wasted time you could be using to do something else which doesn't make it sound too effecient. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks in this field are not so much personal as they a business vehicle and hoping that people will buy this light truck instead is foolish. Granted in the city they can be status symbols, but even 20-30 year old 3/4 and 1 tons are still pretty common out here in the sticks. My statement was that in the farm world these little trucks don't have much going for them, there is more to it than just milage.

I never said anything about hauling a gooseneck with it! smile.gif I just said that it can haul a ton in the bed, which compared to the rangers 1200lb max capacity, thats pretty nice. (and yes I know the ranger can haul more, but it IS rated for 1200 lbs.) I just think for people that need a small truck to carry things occasionally, it would be nice to have the fuel mileage and power of a diesel without having to spend $30,000+ on an f250 or larger. All in all, should it make it to the states before the diesel ranger (or god willing a diesel toyota smile.gif ) I'm going to realllllly look into this thing!

Is it the manufacturer that comes up with the weight ratings or the government? If it is the Govt, it may not be rated the same here as overseas. I agree, for a little truck to bounce around town in it would be a great idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I'm not sure who does the weight ratings for the ranger, I want to say its ford but I'm not positive. I'm pretty sure on the mahindra its rated by the factory though. I'm not really looking to upgrade from the size of the ranger (ok maybe one of the 4 door mahindra trucks would be nice smile.gif ) I just would love to have a small truck that can top 40mpg AND be a 4x4 at the same time. And sadly, while ford DOES have a truck that does that, they still think the American market wont support it. dry.gif which, may be true I dunno but I would certainly buy one smile.gif

linuxman2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My post was copy worthy? :eek: I'm honored :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals