• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Start Stop feature

rob99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would like to know if anyone has knowledge about the 'Start Stop' feature on the 2.3, can it be bypassed/disabled?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Yes, with ForScan.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Like 2002 said, you can probably use ForScan to turn it off completely, just be aware of the fact that if the dealership updates the PCM as part of a recall or to fix another issue it will likely get turned back on.

Beyond that it should be like the Start/Stop in the 2.7L F-150s, where it got treatment similar to traction control where there was a button to turn it off, but once the key was cycled the system would be turned back on.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the F-150's it automatically turns off if the system detects a trailer in the wiring... so if you add resistance to the wiring (something like a light up hitch plug) it thinks there is a trailer and doesn't activate.

rob99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all for the reply's, that's good news to me, not liking that feature lol.

priceman142

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about the Ranger, but on certain new ford models, there is a button on the dash or console you can press to turn off stop start, but I think you have to push it every time you start the vehicle.

I've driven vehicles with stop start and to be honest it's no big deal, I even stopped a vehicle on a hill and the engine turned on right away and the vehicle only rolled back a tiny bit before it moved forward again.

TrackRider54

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The stop start is especially bothersome in stop and go traffic. I had a rental Escape that had it and I never minded it much until I was in a traffic jam. Just seems like a lot of extra stress on the starter and battery.

Otherwise, I got used to letting my foot off the brake a bit before I wanted to move off. That would start the engine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The stop start is especially bothersome in stop and go traffic. I had a rental Escape that had it and I never minded it much until I was in a traffic jam. Just seems like a lot of extra stress on the starter and battery.

Otherwise, I got used to letting my foot off the brake a bit before I wanted to move off. That would start the engine.
My deal is I learned to drive on a very cold blooded 2.8 that died all the time so whenever I think an engine is dying in a car I have a small panic attack and get on the gas trying to save it.

Sooo, if I get a new Ranger start-stop will probably die ASAP. I think I would go nuts with it. :tease:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
In the F150's (all), there is an off button on the dash. The symbol is an A with a semi-circle arrow around it, next to the TC off button. I'm sure the Ranger will have a button also. Pretty simple to hit the off button. Also, there are variables involved. A lot to explain there. Most have to do with engine temp and cab temp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals