• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hobbies..am i just getting to old??

monkey19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been racing rc cars for about 2 years. When i was a kid, my parents never had the money to get me one. A few years back a co-worker showed me what he was racing on Saturdays and I bought one. It was fun for a while but now it just seems that it is becoming a hassle and I am not sure why. Not sure if it is an age thing, I am 32 and most of the racers are either 15 or 65 nothing in between.I guess I am wondering if any of you guys were ever into a hobby and just left it cold turkey? Or is it the kind of thing that you put on a shelf and hope you get interested in again?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Interests change. It may come back or it may not.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
+1.
I moved on to bigger toys like my jetski, but the last two years I've hardly ridden it. That pesky work thing gets in the way and I get home at 6:00 if I'm lucky instead of 3:30 like I used to.
Interests change. Try something new.
There are no speed limits on the river (mostly). :D

I'm kicking around the idea of doing the Harley thing next year, but I'm afraid I won't have time to enjoy that either. Also the water hurts a lot less if you fall off.[/whining]

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I raced r/c cars for about 4 yrs. It got too expensive to stay competitive. Almost all the guys racing in our group owned their own hobby shop.

zapper2003

Reaction score
I don't think the loss of interest has anything to do with age really. I was into them when i was younger, maybe like 12ish? Then got out of it, and recently got back into it 2 summers ago, and already, i'm back out of it. However, i still have everything sittin here waiting on me to start workin on it again. The only problem I have is that 2 of my cars are obsolete, one they discontinued, the other was discontinued when i bought it and recently all the .21 engines that were built identically, have been discontinued.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pull antique tractors, my interest has been waning for the last year, it is hard to call it fun when many people are willing to spend 2x-3x what their whole tractor is worth to freshen up their "stock" engine. It would be fun to do, but I have more pressing issues to blow $3-4k than a plastic trophy or a $50 check. I haven't been yet this year, my tractor has bee sitting in the shed ready to go since late June, it is just hard to shell out $50 in gas and $30-$40 in fees to get beat by people that love to flex the rules as much as they can.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I raced r/c cars for about 4 yrs. It got too expensive to stay competitive. Almost all the guys racing in our group owned their own hobby shop.
+1, probably the reason why it died for me. I still have all of mine, but they just collect dust. Plus the matched battery packs cost in the $100+ price range. I don't see me dumping money like that any more, got bigger bills to pay.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My R/C's are just kinda collecting dust. I drive them maybe once a month to keep the batteries going, but that is about it. I got my first one about 6 years ago, and it was fun, but once I got into highschool and needed to save for a car/ gas. They have pretty much just been sitting since.

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
man i was hard core into rc trucks and cars but im only 15 doing it since i was 12 but i sold them all to buy parts for the ranger, my last one a nitro quakes paying for my new exhaust !! haha well they seem to cost alot to keep running especially the nitro powered when you it hydro poles at 40 mph the plastic dosnt hold up well

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm not old like you are, but I do know the secret to life.

By the way, that's Hugh Laurie, my favorite actor. Mainly because he did the best job of portraying my favorite author, PG Wodehouse. He's great though if you've ever seen the Jeeves and Wooster series. The books are even better.

Anyway, I'll give you the real scoop now: if you tried it and got bored, there was something about it you liked but it wasn't enough to hold you. I've tried a lot of hobbies over the years. My wife will roll her eyes enormously as I reel them off. The whole thing boils down to one thing--

Boats. Real boats, not plastic ones with a rocket motor on them. Build a real wooden boat and you will be fulfilled as you do it. People came out of the ocean millions of years ago, we miss it, we want to go back. You should be feeling things like wood planes, ring nails, screws, saws two-part epoxy--these are all things inherent to the human male. There's nothing you can do about it.

When you are screwing the frame together of a real boat, one that you could push into the water and really go somewhere on--something that runs on top of the water can't get out of site--you will feel like you've never felt before.

Or keep playing with toys.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Several years ago I got into match shooting with old military rifles. had a lot of fun at it. Lost interest (Started building a T-Bucket roadster). Still got a safe full of rifles waiting for me to get interested again. Can I interest anyone in a Schmidt-Ruben?
When we were kids they called it a phase.

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya i used to be all into paintball. i mean i played competitively, then one day i just up and sold all my stuff. it was just getting too expensive and too much bs in the sport so i bailed on it like that!

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you get no joy in doing it then its time sell your stuff or find another hobby.I've been involved with model railroading/railroading for over 25 years and I've left the hobby for a while and have come back recently.Sometime you just got to take a time out and do other things.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
ya i used to be all into paintball. i mean i played competitively, then one day i just up and sold all my stuff. it was just getting too expensive and too much bs in the sport so i bailed on it like that!
Does anyone else see the common factor to most of these replies??? Too expensive,too much BS. I've heard and experianced the same complaints in my endeavors such as stock cars.
This is one of the reasons I like the off road scene-- Rangers in particulair. You can get a Ranger to perform quite well with fairly little effort and dollars and go have fun.A bunch of people get together and go off to what you can do. You can spend as much or as little as you want-- or better yet - fab something up yourself. Money can't buy that kind of uniqueness.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
When you get no joy in doing it then its time sell your stuff or find another hobby.I've been involved with model railroading/railroading for over 25 years and I've left the hobby for a while and have come back recently.Sometime you just got to take a time out and do other things.
Same here. Liked Railroads for as long as I can remember. Now, I can combine the two by using my Ranger to explore old abandoned railways and look for different views of current ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals