• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger- Fuel pump trouble diagnosis

UAFS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I´m gonna tell you a successful story about fixing a no start condition.

I woke up, got ready to go to work, started the truck... it ran for one minute while I waited for it to warm up and bam! it just died. would't start no matter how long I cranked it.

First Test-

I turned the key and I could hear a pump spin (just like my 95 sierra does). I read that this thing has two pumps so I tried something else.

Second Test-

I got my fuel pressure manometer. I remembered it had a "Ford fitting" to plug into the schrader valve on the fuel rail. I did my thing, and noticed zero pressure. But I wasn't sure if this was a valid test since the truck is so old and people tamper with things.

Third Test-
I finally trusted the second test and thought maybe the pump wasn't getting any power. I searched online and found out the green-based relay was responsible for sending the voltage to both pumps (in-tank and in-line). I asked my girlfriend to turn the key to the on position while I touched the relay with my hand and I noticed it clicked (now that I think about it, it's obvious the relay was sending power since the other pump was spinning and that ruled out a bad fuse also).

Fourth Test-

I got under the truck, located the in-line fuel pump and asked my girlfriend to turn the key, I heard the in-tank fuel pump spin, touched the fuel tank and then I could feel it, so, for sure that one was good. I touched the other one and it didn't move one bit. I got my multi-meter and checked for voltage and it did get there.

The FIX,

1- Got a new pump, removed old pump (caught some gasoline with my shirt)
2- tried to get a new connector since part of the positive cable looked burned.
3- cut the burned part of the cable and assembled the new terminals for the pump (I couldn't find the harness conector on the local places)
4- installed the new pump (caught some gas with my face)

And that was it. I turned the key a few times without trying to start it and on the fourth time I cranked the engine and it fired up. I also fixed a taped up vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator.

I'll buy a new connector online since the current one is in really bad shape, the plastic insulation is cracked at some spots ( http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Coolant_Temp_Sensor_Harness_Connector_p/a17683.htm)

I know this is common sense diagnosis to most car enthusiasts but, it's not so obvious to some of us, so I figured it could help.

-Uriel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals