• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boiling radiator

hbyhrs87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,
Just got a $200.00 85 B2 up and running after it set for about 6 months or so. It was only missing the distributor. Got one from another 85 2.8 and got the engine runnig and timed in. 2 problems now. It idles WAY high for about 60 seconds and then idles down to norm after it has warmed up a bit and at inital start will high idle until I tap the pedal. I have to other B2s, 87 and 88, both 2.9 EFI. This carb one is a bit odd to me. Also, now that's it's running it boils over after being driven any real distance. ANy ideas on either one welcome. I think it's the water pump for the boiling as I have no oil in the water or water in the oil.:dntknw: Thanks in advamce for any ideas.

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,
Just got a $200.00 85 B2 up and running after it set for about 6 months or so. It was only missing the distributor. Got one from another 85 2.8 and got the engine runnig and timed in. 2 problems now. It idles WAY high for about 60 seconds and then idles down to norm after it has warmed up a bit and at inital start will high idle until I tap the pedal. I have to other B2s, 87 and 88, both 2.9 EFI. This carb one is a bit odd to me. Also, now that's it's running it boils over after being driven any real distance. ANy ideas on either one welcome. I think it's the water pump for the boiling as I have no oil in the water or water in the oil.:dntknw: Thanks in advamce for any ideas.
carb situation sounds about right.different animal than fuel "infection"

the boiling over could be any number of things,such as faulty thermostat,faulty radiator cap,air in the cooling system,faulty water pump,faulty radiator fan clutch,system low on water or clogged/restricted.

hard to tell from your post,but i am assuming that you mean there is no oil in the water and vice versa.hope this helps.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
carb situation sounds about right.different animal than fuel "infection"

the boiling over could be any number of things,such as faulty thermostat,faulty radiator cap,air in the cooling system,faulty water pump,faulty radiator fan clutch,system low on water or clogged/restricted.

hard to tell from your post,but i am assuming that you mean there is no oil in the water and vice versa.hope this helps.
nevermind,i see you edited.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
When I first got my Bll it had the same problem. Turned out the radiator was stopped up. New radiator fixed it.

hbyhrs87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks all,
I got a hold of the guy who owned it and the repair shop told him it was the rad, we'll see. As for the high idle refered to earlier, I meen WAY high, racing idle when you push in the clutch and it races untill a load is put on the motor. Is that the "normal" high idle for the 2.8??? Thanks again.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all,
I got a hold of the guy who owned it and the repair shop told him it was the rad, we'll see. As for the high idle refered to earlier, I meen WAY high, racing idle when you push in the clutch and it races untill a load is put on the motor. Is that the "normal" high idle for the 2.8??? Thanks again.
Check the choke linkage. Sometimes it will hang up in the fast idle position. Also check the idle solenoid. Those feedback carbs can be a PITA. That's one of the reasons I did the duraspark conversion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals