• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Double build 84 2x4 and 87 4x4

LimaBean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A little background,

I've been into rangers for a few years, and have been around TRS for about 10 years, decided it was time to become active again and participate in this community. Along with a new profile for a fresh start I also have two new (to me) rangers. I still have my first ranger, an 89 that is a SAS project that is sadly waiting in purgatory until I have more space to make it into a dedicated offroad rig.

The new trucks...

Last September my fiance surprised me by getting me a ranger for my Birthday (shes the best). It is an 84 super clean 2x4 I had been eyeing for a while. 2.0 four speed.

A couple weeks ago I picked up an 87 4x4 in decent shape. The idea is that I would use it to replace my Subaru Forester as a daily. It has a 2.9 5 speed. It is pretty decent for MN but still worthy of being a beater.

As I mentioned this is a dual build, and I will be very busy, but dont promise regular updates. Heres the ever changing plan.

Drift ranger: 88 2.3 add a gt35 ebay turbo, boost it, e85 and eventually meth, controlled by megasquirt. Rear four link , 8.8 dual caliper (because hydro ebrake) and custom front suspension.

Daily Beater: Clean it up (motor especially) add some meaty tires, beat it, break it, fix, and repeat. Maybe add a flatbed/tubebed for jet ski hauling and camping.

More to come....

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is the 84 going to be you drift truck ? It is a good looking Ranger.

Last edited:

LimaBean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it's going to be drift oreiented but not in the crap way. Basically a drift style suspension set up and stance.

LimaBean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I picked up an 88 2.3 motor and tranny last fall and started to tear it down before winter. Hoping to dig it out from my storage unit soon for final teardown and get it to the machine shop for a little work. The 84 had a earlier non-feedback carb put on and was stripped of a bunch of important components. I got a new yfa for it a couple weeks ago and am still trying to get it to start consistently. It runs and drive great when it starts but the choke is very hard to get just right. That is all for the drift ranger for now.

As for the 4x4, I pulled it in to clean up the engine bay and strip some components and found it was leaking gas from the secondary fuel pump. I cleaned up the connection and fixed a fuel line clip but in the process broke a return line hardline. Everything is very rusty. So I have a fuel tank, sender, and straps on the way. Also I played around with the carrier bearing alignment because it had a bad vibe issue. We will see if thats fixed soon enough.

On another note, I FINALLY got my jd2 model 32 bender and 1-3/4 die. I will be working on a bender cart and hydro setup soon.

So I picked up an 88 2.3 motor and tranny last fall and started to tear it down before winter. Hoping to dig it out from my storage unit soon for final teardown and get it to the machine shop for a little work. The 84 had a earlier non-feedback carb put on and was stripped of a bunch of important components. I got a new yfa for it a couple weeks ago and am still trying to get it to start consistently. It runs and drive great when it starts but the choke is very hard to get just right. That is all for the drift ranger for now.

As for the 4x4, I pulled it in to clean up the engine bay and strip some components and found it was leaking gas from the secondary fuel pump. I cleaned up the connection and fixed a fuel line clip but in the process broke a return line hardline. Everything is very rusty. So I have a fuel tank, sender, and straps on the way. Also I played around with the carrier bearing alignment because it had a bad vibe issue. We will see if thats fixed soon enough.

On another note, I FINALLY got my jd2 model 32 bender and 1-3/4 die. I will be working on a bender cart and hydro setup soon.

http://s664.photobucket.com/user/evangillette/media/Ranger/IMAG2371_zpsaehf5u7v.jpg.html?sort=3&o=14

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals