• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.3 Turbo Ranger Build

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Well, here goes... I had to buy my buddies 90' Ranger XLT 2.3, 5 speed to put on an 87, 2.3 Lima Turbo Coupe motor I obtained as an "extra motor" that came with a 88' Turbo Coupe I recently bought. (AWESOME CAR!) I've been lurking around this site for a month gathering info, thought I'd share the progress of this project with any of y'all that are interested. Just started tearing the turbo motor down for a winter project. I hope to have this truck running before July, 2015. The plan is to pull the blown motor from the ranger and keep everything but the motor stock for now. Body work and paint to finish it off. Here's what I have.

Attachments

Last edited:

Divh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks sweet cant really help with the swap but will be watching want to turbo my dads 96 2.3 for the longest time now

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Removed and cleaned the intake today. Got bored and added some paint. lol (Still trying to figure out if it looks stupid.) Currently weighing the benefits of using the stock Ranger block instead of replacing the entire engine as I've had some suggest. I really like the forged pistons in the Lima block, but apparently using the stock Ranger block simplifies this swap. Looking for more info and welcome any advice I can get on that subject.

Attachments

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like your detail painting on the intake. When you get your Ranger's engine pulled out and inspect both engines side by side as well as their condition it may help you figure out which engine will be the best to use.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
A real plan is coming together. Got some great info and advice from other members of this forum. You guy's rock! The stock motor is going. I'm using the roller cam, DIS, and external engine parts from the Ranger. That's enough to keep me busy for a little while. Will be pulling the stock motor and continuing to prep the turbo motor. Pics will be added as major steps are completed. Time to get off the computer and start turning wrenches again! :yahoo:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Pulled the ac/heater box for modification. The o2 sensor on the TC exhaust manifold will not fit with the stock heater box. Many folks move the o2 sensor, but the box still requires modification. I figure since the mod must be done anyhow; might as well make it fit and eliminate another mod. Simply cut out the parts that were in the way and designed a new air duct made of heavy gauge aluminum roof flashing. Before and after.

Attachments

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There are some challenges facing anyone who undertakes this project. Well, at least I'm challenged. I'm just a self taught, amateur mechanic who's been repairing, maintaining and rebuilding his families vehicles for a long time now. Scotts90ranger here on the forum has already done a very similar project, and has been a great mentor. I've concluded that the next thing I must do before going any further is pull the Ranger motor and get it on a stand next to the TC motor. The end result of this swap is a sort of "hybrid" of Turbo Coupe and Ranger parts and components, and without prior experience doing this sort of swap I believe it will be MUCH easier to figure things out without having to dive under the hood, elbow deep in oil and grease trying to figure out how things will work, fit, not fit, need modification etc. That should have been my first step! Hindsight is 20/20. I really am enjoying the process though. Ha! Time for a :beer:

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hell yeah dive in man! Thats how we learn! :beer:
Gunna watch your build closely, I started on a turbo 88 Ranger build a few weeks ago, (need to start a build thread ) need to get the motor sitting in the truck to see how far I have to butcher the Heater/AC box to keep air conditioning with the header I'm going to run. Nice work on yours! Thankfully there are lots of great folks and excellent info on this site to help us along!

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Turbo motor is almost ready to install. Replaced all seals and gaskets, cleaned her up, painted the block and installed all the necessary stock ranger parts to make use of the DIS and stock wiring harness. (Distributor plug, crank sensor, throttle, oil pan, alt, steering pump with brackets and the roller cam/followers.) Motor is out of the truck, and now searching for an LA3 EEC and big VAM from an 88 Turbo Coupe. Makes no sense to not throw in a clutch kit at this point too. 2.3 Ranger tranny's are VERY hard to drop, so an ounce of prevention...ya know? New motor mounts too. This Ranger has 375,000 miles on it. Go Ford! Getting closer.

Attachments

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
This build plan now involves using an LA3 EEC, VAM, complete Turbo motor with intake from an 88' Turbo Coupe and using the stock Ranger wiring harness, DIS and all accessories. I'm simply following the path of least resistance to achieve 190+hp in this truck. A noteworthy improvement on the wimpy 100ish hp the stock setup allows. I always loved 4 cylinder, 5 speed, Rangers, but really wished they would jump a little more when you get on the gas. This is gonna be a fun truck!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You've got your turbo engine looking good. Do you know how many miles the turbo engine has on it ?

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The new turbo motor has just turned 100,000 miles. Everything checks out really well and I've replaced all of the seals for good measure. This project is now in fast forward because I just sold my beloved 1988 Turbo Coupe, :sad:but on the bright side:...I can now afford to finish this build.:D I also have the awesome motivation factor of having only my Harley to haul my ass around now until I finish the truck!!! LOL Gonna see some action now fella's!!!!!! I ordered a big VAM and LA3 EEC with wiring harness from ebay, and will have those and all the other parts required here by the end of the week. I've decided to put in a new clutch too even though the existing one is not all that bad since the tranny's out, and those things are a real huge S.O.B. to drop on 4 cyl. Rangers. Hoping for a warm enough day to apply rust converter to the frame while the engine's out. Yee-hawww! I'm a full time mechanic now!:icon_twisted: I've been out of work for a minute now, and I am realizing that poverty is the mother of invention if you're motivated and capable. My goal is to make this truck run like crazy, and start the body and paint work when the weather warms up. I'm gonna squeeze this lump of coal untill it turns into a diamond while I have the time.

Last edited:

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Project is in high gear now! I found pretty good deals on an LA3 with wiring harness ($95) and remanufactured, big VAM ($116); they should be here in the next couple of days. Since the motor is out I thought it wise to put in all new seals, PCV valve, timing belt & tensioner and new motor mounts. The engine is almost complete. I finished the ranger mods today. (Added crank sensor, DIS mount, alt/pwr steering bracket and modded thermostat housing and coolant lines/hoses to accommodate the mix/fit of Ranger and TC parts on this build. Also thought it was a good idea to replace the clutch components too. (Tranny is a bugger to drop in a 2.3 Ranger) Over the next couple of days while I wait for my parts to arrive, I'm going to finish prettying up the engine bay, install new shocks and brakes. I'm really trying to keep this project (minus the actual truck and TC motor) under $700.00. I'm a poor boy, and this is a chunk of money to me, but I think the end results will be worth it. The next mod is trying to make the stock air filter box work with the VAM and Turbo. That should be interesting!

Attachments

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just saw this, looks like you're getting somewhere! On the airbox, look at mine, I think I posted a pic in one of your posts, it's a simple setup that I did with junkyard parts, you might be able to do it with your stock leftovers...

I have to say that it looks like you took my advice and went with it, with less detailed instructions than most people take, so you're above average in the mechanically inclined aspect :), it looks good and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, I know my truck would be a DOG with the stock engine with it's current setup, but now you punch it and it just flat goes... bit of turbo lag but hey...

Have any issues with my instructions on the crank sensor mounting? Did you have to extend the coil pack bracket like I did?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals