• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with fuel cell 2005

ftirish86

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2005 ranger I'm making a truggy. I desperately need help on info for converting to a fuel cell. I'd like it to be easy and on the cheaper side so my stock pump would be nice to keep. I don't know what i need besides a fuel cell. I'd like to delete the evap canister on the top of the spare tire as well or convert to something else.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So why do you "need" a fuel cell?
Why not use a stock tank?
Cheap and conversions don't normally go together unless you spend a lot of "time" doing things yourself. And having a place to do really helps.
Now that I've totally discouraged you....
You might as well build in a cell following rules of the sanctioning outfit closest to what you are emulating. Most times they have already laid out what you can and can't do, and mostly it's safety related. I don't know enough about the 05's fuel systems to say whether you can easily remove the canister, but most times it's just as easy to extend lines and move it, and that also helps a little to save our air that we all breathe.
In my case, on a stock '91 motor I used a frame mount high pressure pump from a mid 80's f150. A ranger will work too. I bought a cheap low pressure pump and mounted it on top of the cell. I fed an accumulator from the same donor, from there to the high pressure on the frame rail. I used all the same return and evap lines that were stock, plumbed them in with Russel AN fittings. If I was to do it again, I would use generic "jic" fittings as they are a hell of a lot cheaper and do the same job.
I don't know that any of this will help but good luck in your build,

Richard

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not the greatest pic and I'm in the middle of the job;

From the blue anodized A/N fitting > fuel filter > low pressure pump > another filter > accumulator > High pressure pump - mounted on cross member > to another filter > to engine

The reason for all the filters was to enable me to use stock fuel line, I needed the filters as fuel line fitting adapters.

Richard

ftirish86

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys I'm having a really hard time knowing what I'm looking at. I need a fuel cell so I can link the rear. I don't know the specs on my 05 system to know what i need. I guess I'll keep looking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals