• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Old Girl finally hiccuped

RangerPrez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone -

I have been on here previously under a different login.. but lost my info...
So, I signed up as a New User.... I have need of some advice, right away.

I have a black 1996 For Ranger XLT, w/ 2.3L 4cyl stock engine.
I am the only Owner and it now has almost 255,000 on it.

I previously had some issues on it not starting for no reason.
Then, once it cooled off, it would start without a hitch....
I finally found it was the FUSE that works with the Computer.

After that, I never had another problem until this winter, when super subzero temps caused it to overheat, blow a waterhose and strand me halfway to work. I walked a piece getting it medicated enough to bring her home.
And, it has run pretty rough since... until this last trip to Ohio and back.

I found on the way home that whenever I had to pull off for a rest stop... the oil pressure would fall away to practically nothing. So, after it had overheated earlier in the year, I saw it was starting to use a bit of oil every so often.. and I checked...added some oil and it seemed fine....

But, about halfway home, I saw it was having more and more issues going uphill and I was no longer able to keep it in 5th gear much at all.
By the time I was within 5 miles of home, the lifters were clanging so loud you could hear it waay down the street.
I didn't care about the embarrassment of the noise. I just wanted to get the old gal home, where I could take care of it.. AND not have to worry about a towing bill. :(

All the while, driving it, the oil pressure gauge would show I had pressure..until I let up off the gas pedal. So, at the last few stop lights, I had to keep it revved pretty heavy..but I did get her home and parked.

My diagnosis? The Oil Pump has failed.
I got home at sunset, so I let her sit overnight....
I have yet to try starting it and I believe I should avoid doing so.

What I need... is some advice on what to worry about and whether or not I have the right plan of action.

1) I will need to remvoe the radiator and fan, just to have room to elevate the engine block. Yes?
- I should NOT have to remove the front of the engine, just to raise the engine up off the mounts. Correct?

2) the oil pan cover should come off easy enough, but I should worry about bolts breaking since the truck is so old and usually hasn't needed any maintenance hardly at all.
- A few years ago, in the winter time, I did see that there was an issue on the Oil Pump being blocked by what ended up being a pile of trash right where the oil intake was for the oil pump. I had a Shop deal with that and it ran wonderfully after cleaning the gunk out of the oil pan. I was told later that he did take the engine out of the truck to finally figure out what the issue was. But, that was over two years ago... so, I'm fairly certain the mechanic did his job properly.

I found that Advance Auto, nearby, ...can get me a replacement Oil Pump for around $259. The oil pan gasket is about $15. A new waterpump is around $60 .. so, I'm looking at $400 for parts.

Question is: What issues might I be looking at, other than the simple replacement of the oil pump AND the water pump?
- I have all of the oil and anti-freeze needed. A new oil filter is nothing compared to worrying about any other unknown issue I might be facing.

Would it be better to try and find another engine and just replace the whole damn thing? This one does have almost 255,000 miles.

Throw a few things at me... so I get a better taste of what I'm about to deal with.

Thanks to all.....

RangerPrez

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Additional Info as follows -->

Rock Auto DOT com... shows me two type of Oil Pumps, to worry about choosing.....shows as 1995-2001 range of vehicles:

DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS Part # OP448 ... $121.79
SEALED POWER Part # 22443616 ............. $235.89

What is the difference between the two?
I should be using SEALED, over the other?

There is $100 difference between the two in pricing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals