• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 Explorer popping and grinding in front hubs

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
91 Explorer 5speedStarted having 4wd problems. popping sound from hubs. suspected hubs were failing. Went to local JY and bought a used set of auto hubs.. Put them on and took it for a drive. when I engage 4wd I hear the same popping sound. I turned sharper than I should have and heard a very loud pop. put it back into 2wd and heard and strange noise sounding like from drivers front almost as if my axle was still turning. got it back home and raise entire vehicle off ground and out it into 4hi and 1st gear. I heard a clicking/grinding sound like a baseball card in bicycle spokes from passenger front and continuous popping from drivers front. I swapped all the hubs around and still same result.

How do the hubs actually operate? by vacuum? could I have a vacuum problem thats not engaging 4wd entirely

Could I have two sets of bad hubs? anyway to test them?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those old auto hub systems are J-U-N-K. It's very possible you have two bad sets, but you might have two good hubs between the four of them. They are mechanically actuated, not vacuum. The axle shaft is always splined in to the outer portion of the hub. When the axle shaft starts spinning it works a spring that pushes everything together and locks the hubs in. Lots of things can go wrong, the spring can break, the cam can break, my last set just plain stripped the cam out.

You can take them apart, clean them up, re-grease everything, and sometimes they start working again. Sometimes they are just FUBAR.

If you can get it on jack stands or stuck in some mud or snow somewhere, somewhere you can get all four wheels to spin but not grab. Put it in 4-hi, and let it roll in gear, see if you have both axle shafts spinning up front but only one wheel. That will be your bad hub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals