• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horrible Fuel Economy

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We've had a 2004 Explorer Sport Trac for about a month now. It's a comfortable ride, but I've never owned a vehicle that has had such lousy fuel economy. I took my son 4 wheeling today. We climbed two mountains (and coasted down both of them), driving a total of 100 kilometers before we fueled up this evening. Total time spent in 4 wheel drive was probably less than 10% overall. We burned 23 liters of fuel. For those of you who are metrically challenged, that's 10 mpg . . .

Okay, so it was a little unusual today. The previous tank, however, wasn't much better at 17 liters per 100 km, or about 14 mpg.

Is this in line with other people who have the 4 liter 4X4?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of my neighbor's has a Sport Trac, it's 2WD, but he incessantly complains about the fuel economy in that thing. I get better mpg in my Avalanche with a V8 that he does with a V6.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The 4.0L V6 engines are gas hogs, plain and simple. My grandfather's 93 Ford Ranger never got better than 18mpg on the open highway. My 1984 Ford Bronco 2 I get 17mpg in town in stop and go traffic and that's with a 2.8L V6. Yep, don't expect any miraculous fuel economy feats with these engines.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you drive it like a grandpa they do a little better, but not much.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While I've never had a Sport Trac, I owned a 95 Explorer XLT 4.0 auto, 4wd for 6 years from 03 until 08. I constantly averaged 20+ mpg on a mix of city and highway drive. Best I ever got was just over 23 on a 3500 mile trip back to visit family in Ohio. Granted 95% of the 75,000 miles I drove were in 2wd, but I'm surprised the same drive train does so poorly in the Sport Trac. Are they full time 4wd?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I bought a new '94 Ranger 4l 4x4 in the spring of '95, drove it nearly 20 years, consistantly got 20+ on the highway even when pulling a small utility trailer full of camping gear and the canoe on the truck canopy, it would drop under 20 on windy days but when it was empty I got 24-25mpg with it, and of course off road it used alot more fuel.

My B2 2.8l gets better mileage than the Ranger did, it will go 500 miles on a 20 gallon tank of fuel.

If you guys have oversized tires or have swapped the rear gears that would explain at least some of the excessive fuel.

..and I am a 'grandpa' so maybe my driving helps, but I still have fun so not 'that' much;)

Attachments

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In general, I'm pretty careful with the way I drive. Prior to owning this vehicle, I had a '93 Ranger with a supercharged 2.3. That little truck used half the fuel of our Sport Trac as long as I was driving. (But I had to use 92 octane gas, otherwise it would ping like mad!)

From what I've read online, it looks like the AVERAGE 4X4 Sport Trac gets 16 mpg in combined highway / city driving. I suppose I'll have to live with the lousy fuel economy. We paid for this truck outright and the heaviest of its depreciation has already occurred. We can buy a LOT of gasoline for the difference between what we paid for this truck and what a new, fuel-efficient car would cost us. And I also have to take into account that this truck can go places where my old Ranger would have been stuck.

Oh well . . . :annoyed:

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the thermostat is of the correct heat range. A stuck one or one that is to cold will hurt your MPG.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 84 w/2.8 5speed got about 20-22mpg on the highway, and my dads 2.8/auto got around 14mpg. the manual trans and driving habits play a big part in fuel economy, as well as overall gear ratio. also, if you were in the mountains, you probably spent very little time in high gear, which also affects economy.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure the thermostat is of the correct heat range. A stuck one or one that is to cold will hurt your MPG.
I'll have a look at that. Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals