• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Might have gotten the cheapeast Rustler on the planet...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Went to the local Goodwill where you buy things by the pound... found a Traxxas Rustler that is missing the rear tires and transmitter but has the new waterproof ESC, receiver and steering servo, snabbed that, a Wii fit board and some RC boat that would be a decent platform to put new stuff in (not hobby grade yet...) for a grand total of $25.55 out the door... I've found good deals there in the past, but holy cow...

Now I gotta scrounge through the RC parts at my moms still as I think there's some tires floating around...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn that's a really good deal. Personally I will not ever go into a Goodwill again. They get free donations and charge a lot for crap. My brother also worked there too.

Anway, did you go to the one on Commercial?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
This is the one on Portland Road close to where Harbor Freight used to be years ago. I know what you mean, they're supposed to sell things for cheap because they get them for free, which they used to, but in this modern society most things sold there are for market value (sometimes more, which is stupid), occasionally you find good deals like this which is easier when you buy things for $1.59 a pound... The AC/DC stick welder I got at one years ago for $20 was also one of my better finds...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you continue finding good deals then why not?

Is this one of the first Rustlers? My very first R/C car was the Stampede. Now I'm into planes.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's got all black plastic so it's an older one, my brother has a pretty decent electric stampede, there's some nice race motors floating around that I could put on this guy so it might end up with one...

I'm more into planes, but haven't had time for much of that the last couple years with rebuilding the Ranger engine, rebuilding the Tracker head, and being sent to 11 locations for work (I think it's 8 trips, some were combined) that didn't leave much free time...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same with me. 60 hours a week, bought a house, girlfriend moved in, the Ranger, no time for flying. I hope to start again next year. Although it can be quite an addicting hobby.

Are you into electric planes?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a little of everything, my favorite plane is an ultra stick lite 120 with a 32cc weedeater engine on it...

Do you fly at the Turner field or the one at the turf farm? I only have a membership at the club in McMinnville so that's where I fly, I need to get a couple electrics going that can go in parks, I have a couple boring ones, need an electric sport plane going again...

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually don't live in Salem. I live 10 miles south of it. Plenty of farmers fields out here so I occasionally (really like 2 times per year) fly. I only fly electic. I have a Slow stick, Formosa, and an eflite pt-17. All need work to fly again. I have 2 other vehicles that will be receiving engine swaps so my time and money has been put into them.

I've had a lot more planes but they have been destroyed. Lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well, the Rustler works just fine, gathered all the parts it needed from my moms house, the only thing I had to buy was rear tires, so I'm into this thing for under $40 :) (tires were $30), now I just need to get batteries that continually work properly, I'm up to 3 minutes of run time on the first battery I tried :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals