• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 diesel pyrometer location??? help

jesselee20040

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 about to swap in 2.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Manual
I know before I start messing with the tuning on this motor I need to install a pyrometer, and I also know that it should be pre turbo to get the most accurate egt's. I have installed one on my 6.7 Cummins ram and there was tons of room but there isn't that luxury here...

Does anyone have pictures of where they installed theirs?

Thanks

racer2868

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
hey jesselee20040 thanks for the info, i installed my probe pre-turbo i will send some pics soon. as for the temps i am seeing it will scare you. i am pretty sure my truck had not been messed with when i got it. i seen 1250-1300 on a 3/4 mile pull uphill, runs about 700-800 down the hwy. since then i have been messing around and you can do alot for mileage or power with the vaccume pod thing (i forgot the real name). and tie wired the waste gate, as all diesel heads know a pyro is a must. P.S. if you see anybody with heating problems tell them to install a SBC HI-FLOW stat. i fought that bear for awhile.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
High EGTs on a stock motor are probably timing related, if your timing is retarded (stretched timing chain) or your injectors are shooting a long stream isntead of a quick fast spray that will bump you EGTs up.

Can you try advancing your timing a little? If it "nails" retard the timing (youtube can show you what "nailing" sounds like on a diesel)

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put mine post turbo just for the simplicity of it. The temps may be a little lower than pre- but like racer said, the temps will still scare ya on a stocker! I saw well over 1300 quite easily on a uphill pull with the junk stock intake and exhaust.. Fix those probs, crank the boost up a bit now I cant get it over *1200. That's a much happier diesel, especially for longevity on the 4D55.
Tried to get a couple pics, kinda hard to get the camera in there!

Where I put the Pyro and boost gauge. Still get some air through the vent, just cant direct it {sniff} lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals