• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Rebuild

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am going to restore a 1988 Ford Ranger to driveable condition. But first I feel it is appropriate to discuss it's past. I'm not completely sure of this truck's past, but this is my take what happened to it. The origional owner wrecked the truck, I'm thinking it was a deer from the impression it left on the radiator support. He took the front end apart and he was trying to fix it, but he was finantially in dire straits, and his house got repossessed:bawling:. This is where my family comes into the story.

You see, our family worked for a company that cleaned up repossessed houses for Fannie Mae. Our job was to remove all of the stuff the previous people had left and then we cleaned up the house. Back to the story, we got to the house where we found the Ranger, and we knew we had to get rid of it. At that time we hadn't been working for them long, so we didn't know what to do with the truck. We still had to get it out of the yard, so we loaded it up on the trailer and took it home. In the process of loading it, a fellow employee broke the steering column to release the steering lock, then he let the truck roll backwards into a tree :annoyed: . That ruined the bumper and bent the bed.

When we got the truck home, we unloaded it and called our boss and asked what to do with it. At that time we didn't know that our boss had power of attorney, which means anything on the property is confiscated along with the house, including the truck. My brother did a little work to the engine and got it running, and we used it around the house for a little while, then he wanted to drive it on the road. He then ran into a small problem: we didn't have a title. In Georgia, if a vehicle doesn't have a title, then it's useless. You can't insure it, you can't sell it, and you can't even scrap it. My brother didn't know what to do so he just rolled it into the woods and left it to rot:sad:. This is where another car comes into the equation.

We went to another house we were cleaning up and we found a 1998 Isuzu Amigo nose first in a dried up pond (it's the blue thing in the second picture). It looked like it had been there quite a while. The same situation happened with it, we loaded it up, took it home, someone wanted to drive it and couldn't because there was no title. Then my brother did some investigation and found out how to get a title. All we had to do was "buy" the car from the company we worked for, then use the bill of sale to apply for a lost title. It worked, and to this day my mom drives that thing to work just about every day:icon_thumby:.

Back to the truck, It's been ten years since we left it for dead, and I need a truck (my first roadworthy vehicle, to be exact). My brother said I could have it. So I repeated the process he used to get the title to the Amigo, and it worked just perfectly. So now I legally own a Ranger that had been smacked by a deer, then left for dead, then saved, then left for dead again:icon_confused:. I've attached a few pics of the truck after we dragged it out of the woods.

So what I plan to do is restore this truck to roadworthy condition, while doing some fuel efficiency mods at the same time. Yes, I know it's a truck but I've read of ways to make it get 30+ MPG. My plans are to first swap the 2.3 that's in it now for the 2.3 that came in the later rangers, the one with mass flow Fi and DIS. I've heard this can have a profound effect on gas milage. As far as a transmission, it already has the mazda 5 speed that's in useable condition, so nothing to do there. As far as eco mods go, the farthest I think I will go is some aerodynamics mods, mostly in the form of an aerodynamic bed shell. From what I've read, the backdrop at the back of the cab causes a ton of drag, so a bed shell made the right way would fix that. I'll post progress here as I go along.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are you 100% sure it was the Suzuki and not the Ranger that you found in the pond?

Anyway, I am so glad to see someone restoring a beat up 1st gen unit. Keep us updated, ask lots of questions. Post lots of pictures.

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Are you 100% sure it was the Suzuki and not the Ranger that you found in the pond?

Anyway, I am so glad to see someone restoring a beat up 1st gen unit. Keep us updated, ask lots of questions. Post lots of pictures.
Yea, I know it has a lot of algea on it in the pics, but I've washed it off since. BTW, amen to repealing Obamacare.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also in for the ride.

Richard

jhammel85

Quite a project but it's great to see another 1st gen restore.

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
At least this isn't my first restore project. The first vehicle I have done a full restoration on was a 1986 Chevrolet Camaro. We went through EVERYTHING on that car. EVERY bolt on that car has been turned by our wrenches. And it came out pretty good. So at least this isn't my first rodeo.

jhammel85

Good. Not a bad car to restore either...I used to own an 85 Iroc myself.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind my asking, where in GA are you?

Will be watching this one.

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum. If you don't mind my asking, where in GA are you?

Will be watching this one.
Um, Pike County. I don't feel comfortable giving out my city, though (too many cyber-creeps crawling around the net). BTW, wat does RIP in your sig mean? Got totaled?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pike county is good enough, if you didn't want to say that would have been fine as well. Just wandering how close you are. I'm in the lower part of Crawford, off highway 341 about half way between Roberta and Fort Valley.

Yep the 84 got totaled. Wrapped sideways around a pecan tree at 45-50 mph. Keeping it until I have a place to store the motor, a 2.8l with less than 5k on rebuild.

Looks like you need bumpers and fenders. Not sure about the fenders, but I may have a set of stock chrome that will help you get rolling. I'll check over the weekend and let you know. I also have some first gen lowering components. I know that the first priority is get it running and road worthy, but if you decide to drop it down the road keep me in mind. I'll have the stuff for a while, cause I'm not advertising and don't want to ship.

Last edited:

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so my first update is not much, but I've been spending my free time inspecting the truck and making a parts list. I am going to see how many parts my family is willing to buy for me for my birthday and Christmas :D and I guess I will start working on it after the year rolls over. By my tally I need $3000 of parts, but that is only a guesstimate of each part's price, and it also includes parts I might not need. My hope is to come out around $2500.

I was thinking, we have a small shop with a concrete pad in front of it, but my brother doesn't want me to have my truck torn down in "his" shop (he thinks the shop belongs to him, but my dad actually owns it). I want to tear it all the way apart and do a full restore, but due to limited funding and a lack of room (thanks to my brother:annoyed:), I will have to settle with getting it on the road. So I had a novel idea. Get ALL the parts I might need for one of the truck's subsystems and then take 2 or 3 days out to tear said subsystem apart to install the parts. Minimum time in the shop, maximum work done. Any ideas that might help?

I'll make another update on my birthday about what parts I got, ditto with Christmas.

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Alright, now my birthday has passed, and I got a fuel tank, fuel sending unit, and a battery. So far, so good. Now to wait until Christmas...

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Nice to see another Supercab with the 2.3, when mine was running, the parts guy at AutoZone said that Ford didn't make many with the 4 banger, that most supers had the 2.9.

of course now mine has the 5.0, just have to get it running.

also you do know that you have two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one on the frame, when I first got mine I didn't know that till someone from here told me about it.

Robert

posted using a brick and a towel.

NTkiller7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
Hi, just wanted to say I got no truck parts for christmas, but I will be starting on it soon. BTW, why did they put 2 fuel pumps on the truck? Can I delete the rail pump and use a high pressure in tank pump? Or am I better off leaving it stock?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
you can use a high pressure in the tank, I have no idea why they did it that way, all you have to is find one from a newer Ranger that has only the pump in the tank, I'm one hundred percent sure, but I think the 90 model had one pump, maybe a 89.

I too wished I could have gotten Ranger parts, I need a few hundred small parts to get mine running and driving again.

Robert

posted with a glass of rotten milk ans swish cheese.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals