• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'04-'06 Expedition Roof Rack Cross Rail Swap

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Original Poster: bmerr98

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Time required: 2-3 hours (including hunting at the bone yard)

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation:

If your '04-'06 Expedition has the roof rack with raised side rails and you're missing one or both cross rails, you know that your roof rack is useless. With OEM cross rails going for around $100 a pair on eBay, you might find it easy to put off buying them, and then wishing you had them when it's road trip time and you want to strap stuff to the roof. It can be hard to part with a C-note for something you only use now and then (like a roof rack), but what if you could get it back in action for say, $20 or less? By raised side rails I mean these:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11750&thumb=1&d=1380335034

Tools needed:
-1/4" or 3/8" ratchet with 3" extention
-T-25 Torx bit (IIRC - bring an assortment)
-Dremel tool with cutoff wheels
-EYE PROTECTION (during Dremel use)
-Phillips screwdriver
-measuring tool
-WD-40 or other light lube

Parts needed:

Just the cross rails from an appropriate donor vehicle. I found that the roof racks on the 2000 Chevy Blazer and 1998 Pontiac Montana minivan have raised roof racks, 38" spacing between the side rails, and similar mounting systems for the cross rails. Other year models may also work.

Step 1:
When you find a donor, you may have to remove the entire roof rack. My donor was a 2000 Blazer. 8 T-25 Torx screws held the roof rack, 2 at each corner. Once removed, I disassembled it with the Phillips screwdriver and slid the cross rails out.

Step 2:
You will need this measurement. Mine was a little over a half inch, so my donor parts (nearly .75")needed to be trimmed. If your C channel measures about the same as your donor rails, you may be able to install without trimming. That's called a win.
View attachment 11802

Step 3:

If the donor rails measure more than your C channel, you will need to trim them down. There was a seam that marked the center line of the ears, for lack of a better word. I didn't think to get a pre-trimmed pic.
View attachment 11803

Step 4:

This metal piece will also need to be trimmed. It clamps to the inside of the C channel and holds the rail in place. Use some WD-40 when removing the thumb screw. The threads are mashed at the end to keep it from inadvertently being unscrewed all the way and the lube might keep the threads from galling. Go slow...
View attachment 11804

Step 5:

With your donor rails trimmed to fit, just slide them in from the back as the OEM ones do. Be sure the metal piece is INSIDE the C channel.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11754&thumb=1&d=1380335105

Position as desired and hand tighten the thumb screws to secure.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11755&thumb=1&d=1380335105

Then load up!

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11756&thumb=1&d=1380335105

New OEM cross rails: $100
That cargo box on GMAccessorieszone.com: $385

I paid $12.95 for the cross rails including the $2 entrance fee and sales tax, and $27.32 including tax for the box at a local thrift store. $485 vs. $40.27 and a couple hours of piddling. I think I won.

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Nice write up. Not really ranger related but will come in handy since i have an 04 expo

Rangurr

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Should come in handy if I buy the Expedition I'm currently considering (Suburban feels loose in the trans). Nice Write up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals