• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

idea for a project

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
if i got a 90 ranger 4cyl, 5speed reg cab with the 2.3, i would have a fresh rebuild done,intake(if i can find one) heads ported and polished, throttle body,headers,cat back,cam (if i can find one), and if i can find a good turbo id like to run a turbo, i would also bore it out a bit and stroke it if i can. am i missing anything? any other ideas on how to make power out of this little 2.3? i just want something i can have some fun with:icon_twisted:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
The most effective way to get power out of a fuel injected 2.3 is to put a turbo on it. All that other stuff you mention will give you little gain with a rather big expense. If you end up keeping it N/A the best thing you could do is throw a 2.5 kit in it, a header with a free flowing exhaust and intake. Anything other than that is really a waste of time and money. Where a ported head, throttlebody and cam would make the most difference would be with a turbo. You could build the 2.5 now and later on down the road throw a turbo on it with all the goodies and have a real animal. If you do have intentions of building a turbo motor though the best thing you could do is find a turbo block (more webbing, stronger) to start your build with.

Last edited:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
turbo motors stock with very few mods can make decent power, a stock one in a ranger will make for a mean truck just in its self. but if your going to build one dont keep a small budget, spare no expense, cause cheaping out on turbo motors will REALLY make u pay the first time under boost

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
hmmm, well i was thinkin about it and i just wanted some imput, we will see one day thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals