• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83-84 Ranger Diesel's

ddb maine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 83 diesel a few weeks ago. Amazing truck, drove from NC where I bought it, to Sarasota FL, around FL for a week then back home to Maine. 3k miles in a week.
I also met and talked to a few trs guys along the way!

To the point, there's not a lot of information out there in terms of these engines, and after all the reading I've done over the time I pondered this truck (1+ years) I did not catch until today that CAT bought Perkins in 97.
Now maybe this is old news, but I've called every diesel shop around me and I always ended up in a gray area. "yeah its an AG style diesel but its in a truck and we don't do that". or "yeah its in a truck but we don't do AG type diesels".

I don't know where I came across the info but a call to Milton CAT and their service supervisor provided this response " Yeah we now service Perkins due to our acquisition, the only time we can't is if its an electronic diesel. Our computer diagnostics tend to have trouble reading them". My explanation of the fact that the truck itself lacks any computer and that the only wires go to the starter the thermostat and the oil pressure sensor he said " No kidding, yeah that would be easy then!"

:icon_bounceblue:

The truck doesn't need any work right now but its good to have a place I can take it for check ups.

jhammel85

That is nice to know. I think I've heard of people going to CAT for parts. I'd love to have one of those diesel rangers. Problem is, up here, theyre almost always trashed by rust or terrible owners.

Arctic Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
I have been driving my 82 Mazda with the same engine for the last year. It only has 80,000 miles on it and has not needed to be repaired. I made friends with the only guy in town that drives a Ford Ranger with a Perkins. He is a diesel mechanic and knows these trucks inside and out. I found a totaled 83 diesel ranger that I can pick up cheap. I just do not have room for it. My space is taken up by my collection of Toyota diesels.I have found these trucks are not hard to work on but parts are hard to find. That is why I collect parts trucks.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The old toyota diesels were supposedly bulletproof trucks just like the 22re motors were. Great little trucks. Never been in a ranger diesel, but have heard they're pretty descent as well.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
My brother just bought one for 1,400. Its an 83 diesel N/A The body and all is perfect. It runs great and shifts well... it needs a water pump gasket and the only other issue is that it only goes 47mph!! It had the wrong trans I think. We are going to regear it to the moon.

ddb maine

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My brother just bought one for 1,400. Its an 83 diesel N/A The body and all is perfect. It runs great and shifts well... it needs a water pump gasket and the only other issue is that it only goes 47mph!! It had the wrong trans I think. We are going to regear it to the moon.
Whooooa, is it the 4spd? if it is you should have the compression checked. I can hit 70 its loud as hell and you know it but it will do 70. 60mph produces a nice humm.

I wouldn't play with the gearing until you are positive someone else changed the originals out.
Unless of course you know what your doing, then by all means have fun, just sounds like a blow by issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals