• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Savage Mark II or Marlin XT-22?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to decide which of these two bolt action .22lr I want, and had some questions.

Both are considering extremely accurate for the price. Can anyone compare the two?

I hear very good things about the Savage accutrigger, and very good things about the one on the Marlin as well, but the only review I found that actually compared them said the marlin sucked in comparison.

From reading reviews, I have noticed a few people complain about the iron sights on the Marlin... Any comments? Can anyone compare these to what the savage has? I have not seen anyone mention the ironsights on the savage. This one might be the biggest deal to me because I want it to be a highly functional gun without a scope for durability reasons (Hey its my first gun, I want it to last forever without having to upgrade it.)

Lastly, I have heard a few complaints about magazine issues with the Savage, but it can be easily remedied by bending something I think? Also there is mention of the Marlin 925(i think?) magazines working with the xt-22, which sounds like it could be useful?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you want NEITHER of those two guns. get you a savage .17 instead. those things can kill a coyote at 300 yards. much more accurate that a .22

here's the one i've been eyeing.

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-93R17-FXP-17-HMR-Rifle-with-Scope/product/10218223/

also has the accu-trigger. which, yes, i've heard a lot of good stuff about them too, on all their rifles. i plan on ditching the POS scope that comes with it and getting a BSA sweet 17 4-12x

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
oh and my other point was that you can actually find .17 ammo right now, unlike .22

and to answer your original question, i'd go with the Mk II over the marlin. i've got a semi auto marlin .22 and i've been less than happy with it. my semi auto savage FV64 is badass though

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mark II hands down.

.17 would be fun... I would still go with a .22 though. Once the panic wraps up it will once again beat the tar out of the .17 in the "bang per buck" department.

As far as a freaky cartridge that isn't really panic driven, the only small caliber on the shelves in any of the stores I frequent in the past few months was .204 Ruger.

I have look under rings on my .22 because sometimes you want a scope and sometimes you don't. When there is a varmint that needs delt with it is hard to tell what the lighting is going to be like. It isn't perfect for the cheek weld... still plenty accurate though.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I live on canada where finding ammo is of no concern. .22lr are available very easy.

Isn't .17 ammo significantly more money?
I do hear good things about them but I figure a cheap .22 is the best first gun for me.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
gotcha

yeah, .17 is more money for sure. about $15 for 50 seems like the last price i saw. i think i've seen it for $10 for 50 but i dont remember.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
That's exactly what I have, but just in camouflage. Yeah .17HMR is much more expensive, they travel much faster than .22's.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I would be interested in a .17 later on because I hear how fast/straight they fly, but right now its all about the value of .22lr rounds.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals