• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

machine shops head job ? $

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
Just got a call fro my local machine shop with a price of $410 for checking the heads, new valve seals, hot tank, and removing a broken bolt from the intake manifold. Is this about right or or am I getting screwed?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Just got a call fro my local machine shop with a price of $410 for checking the heads, new valve seals, hot tank, and removing a broken bolt from the intake manifold. Is this about right or or am I getting screwed?
get another estimate or two,sounds high to me.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
no it doesn't, thats why it sounded kinda high to me also, but I haven't had to due any machine shop stuff for 10 yrs.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
There are only 2 shops in the area that I know of and this guy has a great rep. with the hot rodders etc... I suppose I could be paying for the rep.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i haven't either,we need some of the other members to chime in.sounds high to me.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can get a head completely rebuilt for that around me.

Allen

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just went to e-bay and a guy has a single head for $200.00
Mine were done by a wholesale shop - a head shop that services parts stores and some engine shops- for $189.00 a couple years ago.
Some shops confuse these heads with the 2.9 that had a lot of failures, so the estimate high.
For that price you should be getting new guides, valves and springs too. I'd get on the phone and check some more.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well my machinist (he also builds engines, not just machine work) said my most of my valves and springs were good. Those that weren't I replaced with spares (good spares according to the afore mentioned machinist) from a spare set of heads I had picked up to get rebuilt before I found one was cracked. I had my heads cleaned, checked, new stem seals installed, and valve job done for probably 200-250 total. I can't find my receipt for the work to get you an exact price, and not sure I want to go looking through that pile of receipts again. Now as for the machine work on the block, can you say ouch? I think total it cost me a little over 800 for my machine work on this motor.

michowski

Reaction score
You can buy new heads completly done with new valves, seats, springs, the work for that price. I got 2 new heads off ebay for about 400 shipped. They even paid for the core shipping.

BWOLIVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 durasparked
Transmission
Manual
thanks everyone for your responses, talked to the machinist and got a discount $395 including head set and cleaning up my intake including removal of broken bolt and heli coil. of course I still feel a little cheated, but need to get the rig on the road. just won't use them for anything else in the future.

ammocj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was quoted higher than that with all new valves and complete engine gasket kit.
I'm home so seldom that I'm going to have em do it just so I can reassemble it when I finally do get a chance.
I was going to strip my other heads off the block to see if I could save a few bucks but that would put me a month back on getting it on the road.
I figure I'll strip my other motor after this ones running and rebuild the bottom end, shop for a 4 barrel intake, then just swap these heads onto that, but that's probably 2 years down the road at this rate.
Al

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals