• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No start.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
94 Explorer. 4.0. Drove to dinner, went in to to eat some dinner, came out, no start. Engine cranks, but will not fire. Tries to start on ether. Replaced fuel pump relay. No start. Fuel Pump? Coil Pack?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Sounds like either the fuel pump cut off got tripped somehow. Or... Your fuel pump laid down on you.

Firing on ether means you have fuel delivery issues.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Do you know if you are gettin spark? If not then chaulk it up to fuel. Is it trying to start, like sputtering or fire up and then dying? If it trying to start and you know you have fire it is either fuel pump or fuel cutoff switch

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Not cut off. We tried that as well. Like I say it will sputter on ether, then die. Dang someone lie to me and say the radio just needs tuned in....LOL. Thanks for the fast responses guys, just furthers my suspicion...

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Ford put the junkiest fuel pumps I've ever seen in these things. When they go out its always without warning and they go out all at once.

I've bit the fuel pump bullet twice on RBVs and they both acted the same. Runs perfect. Park it and go into a store. Leave make it 100 yards and then it's like someone cut the fuel line and there I sat.

Ive also laid down in the passenger seat and let someone else drive and had my fat foot kick the reset switch and kill it. Haha. Had me baffled the first time 6hrs from home.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
try smacking the fuel pump, sometimes they get jammed up. odds are that it needs replaced, even if you manage to get it home this way. obviously, checking your fuel pressure would be good...

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: Went and jump started it with the 1 ton this morning and it fired right up. Drove like normal, no hick ups. Nothing. Coil pack heating up? My girlfriend said last night it would try to start then she would hear a faint "click" then it would just crank. Will still pull the tank and replace the pump. I hate pulling fuel tanks. Thanks for the reply's guys. Its home now, so I can really give it a looksie....

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
UPDATE: Went and jump started it with the 1 ton this morning and it fired right up. Drove like normal, no hick ups. Nothing. Coil pack heating up? My girlfriend said last night it would try to start then she would hear a faint "click" then it would just crank. Will still pull the tank and replace the pump. I hate pulling fuel tanks. Thanks for the reply's guys. Its home now, so I can really give it a looksie....
Fuel pumps will sometimes work fine when cold like in the morning but fail after they or the vehicle warms up. Mine was doing it recently, replacing it fixed the problem. Now I heard you mention that it "tried" to start on ether, does that mean it would not start? Could be a spark issue if that is the case. next time your having problems check your fuel pressure.

AaronC47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel Pump,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was in here tonight looking for another sticky or a "how to",, I read a bit of the post and just had to reply,, Ihave a 93 4wd Navajo, I just love my truck, had it for years. ANYWAY,, almost 2 years ago I went to visit a couple female friends out in the country, and so happens my (jackass) cousin was with me. We get done visiting and to my truck, get in start it up, and away we go,,about 30 feet. Dead in the water, or well on land,, but dead nonetheless. So I roll it into my friends barn, drop the tank,, and all involved. The entire time my cousin is bitchen about "how long is it gonna take you ?" Well those that know even with the right tools its a PITA job,, Now when you DONT have what you need and your trying to make do,, along with that person thats with you but is afraid, scared, and just flat out cant handle getting dirty or greasy outside of his job,,,(boohoo cry me a river). SO ANYWAY, some 5 hours or so later Im ready to turn the key and get my a$$ home and a shower. Turn the key,, engine turns over, and turns over, and over,,, no fire,,,.. By then I ready to beat him down because his whiney little candy a$$ wants to get home,,, (cry me another river). Anyway then I remembered,, when we were leaving he was reaching in his back pocket after getting in, his feet high in the floor board, his neck on top of the seat and there it was, that light that goes off and reminds us that sometimes we dont stop and think things thru before we act. I pulled back the carpet on passenger side and there it was for sure, he somehow disconnected the inertia switch when he was doing whatever he did. Now as a reminder to the Ranger owners out there,, Its MUCH easier to pull the 6 bolts or however many out of the bed and disconnect things and lift the bed off for fuel pump access. The Point of this long winded babble,, Think things over first BEFORE you get upset and just jump on the first thing that comes to mind. Learn how the process of elimination can help,, i.e. if its doing this then it cant be that, if its doing that then it cant be whatever else. Engines all need 3 things Fuel, Spark, and air,If you have air and spark,its got to be fuel, etc. AND for damn sure get a repair manual to keep handy for wiring and vacuum stuff along with THE RANGER STATION tech info pages.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals