• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck is stalling

boostedjd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i just replaced my timing belt, tensioner pulley, and spark plugs 2 days ago and then on my way home when i was driving on the highway it kept sounding like it was backfiring and then i would completley lose power but then i could let it sit for a couple min and it would start right up and it would do this about every 5 min but it only seems to do this on the highway as when i got to town it i drove thru the city and it didnt stall at all. Anyone know what could cause this?

Ordak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check your Catalytic converter when it stalls out, if it is glowing orange/red your CAT is clogged and you should punch it out or replace it. Also check/change your fuel filter if you have a high mileage vehicle. If you have a throttle body, clean it even if there is seemingly small amount of carbon because my dad had a similar problem with his 2006 f-150. If you clean the throttle body do not spray the throttle body cleaner directly on the throttle body, spray it on a rag and then clean it. If you spray it directly carbon chips will get run through your engine. Let me know if this helps you and could you tell me what year your truck is and if it fuel injected or not.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
i just replaced my timing belt, tensioner pulley, and spark plugs 2 days ago and then on my way home when i was driving on the highway it kept sounding like it was backfiring and then i would completley lose power but then i could let it sit for a couple min and it would start right up and it would do this about every 5 min but it only seems to do this on the highway as when i got to town it i drove thru the city and it didnt stall at all. Anyone know what could cause this?
Pick up a Vacuum gauge and port it to your intake. Get one with a long hose. Drive the truck around and see what the reading is when the truck acts up. If it acts up and the engine vacuum nose dives? Pull over and put your hand near the exhaust. (no kidding...don't touch it!) If it feels restricted or not really there? Peek at your converter(s) and see if they are glowing with high heat. This does sound like a plugged up converter---but it could also be a timing related issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(do not punch out the converter---some of us do like clean air <G>)

S-

Ordak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Air? who needs air? I am joking of course, but i would replace the CAT before punching it out because it does produce more emissions.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If the truck ran OK before you worked on it, then check your work over, before you start replacing anything else.

boostedjd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i checked the cat and it is fine. Today when i was driving it it stalled out and would crank all day but intemittenly started and then would drive for a half mile and stall out again and do the same thing over. Think the fuel pump is bad or fuel filter clogged?

boostedjd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
figured it out

after my truck completley died i had my buddy tow it and then tried to start it up again and noticed the battery was dead and got to looking and figured out that when i took my serpentien belt off to do my timing belt my serpentine belt tensioner seemed hard to move so it turned out taht it was bad so everytime i put on the throttle the tensioner would move and cause the belt to jump because there was no tension on it

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
after my truck completley died i had my buddy tow it and then tried to start it up again and noticed the battery was dead and got to looking and figured out that when i took my serpentien belt off to do my timing belt my serpentine belt tensioner seemed hard to move so it turned out taht it was bad so everytime i put on the throttle the tensioner would move and cause the belt to jump because there was no tension on it
Sounds like progress!!!

S-

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
also when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter/pump?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals