• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New problem, new thread...

englewoodcowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have tachometer issues. My 88 ranger tach does not relay engine data. When you turn the key on, the needl moves a little and when you turn it off, it drops a little but it does not read engine rpms. We pulled it out and checked the connections and everything appeared fine and I tested the signal wire from the coil and it is sending signal that my FLuke meter can read. So, how do I know it is the tack? Right now there is one on ebay I can grab but I dont want to buy something if that is not the problem.

Second problem, the horn does not work. You push the center of the wheel and you get nothing, no relay click (if there is one) etc. but the center button feels almost not springy either. I would like to get this fixed by the time my next inspection is due, neither item has worked from the day I bought it and apparently the dealer knew someone who signed off on it. I dont want to use a aftermarket button on the dash if I dont have to but I know parts are limited on availability....

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On my 88 Ranger the horn is on a fuse with one or two other things...if you check your fuse panel listing find out if the other items are working...if not, then it is the fuse...if so...I remember my horn sounded but it was very lame...turned out to be corroded connections at the horn itself...should be a blue wire running to the horn...and when you pull the steering cover off you should be able to compress the horn activation ring to see if it gives a bleat also...

As for the tach...it is getting something so it may be the tach itself that is broken...but not sure because I've never had to troubleshoot a tach...mine doesn't have one...but there should be a tach test on the coil...but your coil packs are different so check the wiring diagram if to see where the tach feed comes from...I think AllanD mentioned something about the EECIV controlling the tach signal...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals