• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

calling on the RBV community again

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks to all for helping me decide on a rifle(saying the word rifle,I hope is still legal,jk),anyways.Looking to upgrade to another scope over the factory scope.

The scope will be going on a Rem.700 in 30-06.I will also be doing alot of range shooting,predator hunting,and cant wait for deer season.Considering the terrain down here,my max range at most will be 300 yardsand least 50-75yds.My max price range is around $125ish.

Here are some I am looking into,and would like to hear your comments:
Bushnell Banner 4-16x40;Tasco World Class 4-16x40;BSA Optics Contender 4-12x40.I have read several reveiws but want to know what people I know I can trust think.Also am wanting one mildot,milplex or similar,just dont want a plain cross reticle

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my first rifle i ever bought was a rem 700 .30-06 ADL. i put a cheap ass 4x BSA on it when i first bought it. i only used it for hunting, so it worked great for me. i zeroed it to shoot 2" high at 100 yards. that made it about dead on at 300.

later on a put a 4-12x bushnell banner on it, it worked great too. i got it for around $100 from bass pro, but that was 10 years ago.

i never had an issue with zero with either scope. and they got banged around a lot getting into tree stands and riding in the back of my b2.

the mil-dot would help with longer shots if you absolutely had to take one. you just need to know your round data for the particular round you're shooting.

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
trackin on the mil dot,thats why I dont want a plain cross reticle w/out marks.Im leaning more towards the bushnell banner,seems to have good reveiws considering it doesnt have the price tag of higher end scopes

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, you could track with it but not at 300 yards. with a 100 yard zero, the .30-06 only drops 7-9 inches at 300 yards. a mil is 10.8" at 300 yards, so you would need to start shooting at 400+ in order to need to use the mils as holds.

like i said, i had a banner, it was good scope and i'm pretty sure it's made in america. get you a nice one piece mount and some decent rings and it'll serve you for many years.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
my favorite scope to date, that I've owned personally, was my Redfield Wide Angle 3x9... but those are stupid expensive lol.

I think you'll be fine with any of those scopes. Just buy quality, buy a Name that stands behind their product. Only scope issues I've had out of major brands; Simmons customer service sucks from my personal dealings with them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my favorite scope to date, that I've owned personally, was my Redfield Wide Angle 3x9... but those are stupid expensive lol.

I think you'll be fine with any of those scopes. Just buy quality, buy a Name that stands behind their product. Only scope issues I've had out of major brands; Simmons customer service sucks from my personal dealings with them.
I don't think Redfield (or maybe anybody??) makes wide angled scopes anymore. Redfield sold out and got passed around, now Leoupold owns them. The Revolution is kinda like a lower end Leoupold and the Revenge is an import "bargain" scope. Lifetime warrenty on both IIRC.

Personally I want to get the Accu-Range Revolution in 3x9-40 for my 30-06. Has a built in rangefinding device with a bullet drop compensating recticle for ranging critters.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, Redfield dropped the wide angle years back. The new scopes they have now are pretty nice.

I am shooting a Remington 7400 30-06 with the Redfield Revolution (3x9-50 w/ Accu-Range recticle) and Leupold rings. Though that is more than you wanted to spent, the Revenge line might be worth taking a look at.

http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

Last edited:

infantry grunt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
I looked at a Redfield at a pawnshop,dont know the model but was nice.For the money I think I will go with the Bushnell Banner 4-16x40,Walmart for I think $120 or something.I really dont have any problem with the scope that came on the rifle new,3-9x40 maker unknown,but I dropped it and it rattles now,the reticle doesnt seem to twist when I bump it or tap it,but dont want to waste ammo trying to rezero if its not operable.Ammo is hard to find

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals