• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Help Fast

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have an 88 bronco 2 with a 2.9l and I was on the way to work this morning and it just decided to shut off and not start back up, it smelt like something burnt up on the inside but I couldn't find where it was coming from so I checks out the relays under the hood and it kind of smelt like it was coming from one of them, I've had problems with I believe the ECM relay and I could jump the yellow and red wire and it would start, I did that and it didn't start still, so I was wondering if there is any other relay or something simple that could all of a sudden go out while I'm driving that would make it not start?

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yea but if it was the fuel pump wouldn't it spit and sputter and then shut off? Because when I was driving it just completely stopped and shut off, but I will check out the fuel pump relay when I get off work

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
will it crank? does it click? or does it do nothing when you turn the key?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
turn the key on you should hear the fuel pump cycle without fuel pressure it will not even sputter.

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It'll still turn over, and when I turn the key on I hear the pressure pump but I never could even hear the fuel pump before

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
have you ever replaced the tfi module

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Look for burnt, bare broken wires especially around the exhaust manifolds?

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Weres the tofu module? And I did smell something burnt but I could find where it was coming from

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I meant tfi module

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't they have two fuel pumps? My buddy's ranger would spit and sputter because one wasn't enough to run, but enough to try.

P.S. you could hear the one pump running. It was loud, the tank prime pump wasn't working. It would actually start and run if you let it sit for awhile, but would sputter then die.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it has the fuel pump under the drivers seat on the frame yes it is a two pump system. Depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure.

beckalb95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I found out that it is getting fuel just not spark, so I checked out which I think is the eec or ecm relay on the passenger side and the fuseable link on the double yellow wire blew. So I replaced the fuseable link with a new wire and fuse and it blew a new fuse instantly, after blowing 3 fuses I stopped. So I no I have to have a short somewhere, and was wondering where it would be, or where the wire goes. I think it might be the computer brain thingy under the glovebox because I did smell something burn up when it shutoff, but I'm not sure.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This one shows the yellow wire.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_2of3.JPG

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_3of3.JPG

Suggest you follow the yellow wire and disconnect the PCM, turn the key on, see if the fuse still blows.

It would be helpful to know WHICH fuse blows. If it's that 30A #8 in that first diagram, it could be anything on the Red wire if the fuse blows when the key is turned to Run. If so, disconnect all the parts connected to the red wire and hook them up one at a time until the fuse blows.

In any case, it would be wise to look at every segment of the harnesses for areas where they could chafe against any metal. If it stunk by the PCM, start looking around there. Look for any water intrusion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals