• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 3.0 Won't Turn Over - PATS Security Problem

ScottT80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 2003 Ranger 3.0 liter automatic with 95k miles on it. I've had the truck for about two years and have never had any issues with it except for a faulty door sensor that turns the dome light on. Occasionally it'll stick and leave the light on.

Two nights ago this happened... came out to a dead truck. It tried to turn over but was too weak. Charged the battery up and it wouldn't start, nor turn over at all. Voltage is fine.... I checked it. The battery is about four years old, so I tried the new battery out of our other car. Still no luck. All lights, gauges, etc work fine but nothing happens when you turn the key. No turning over, not even the click of the solenoid. I've checked the grounds and battery wiring, and tried a known good battery as well as trying two keys in it.

I went out this afternoon and tried it again. I left the battery unhooked for an hour or so and then tried it... still no luck. I have no reason to believe the starter or solenoid are gone on a clean, 95k mile truck that behaved fine the day before. I did check the wiring and they looked fine.

All indications point to the factory anti theft alarm being the culprit. The PATS system. It doesn't have power locks or keyless entry, but does have a theft light on the dash. I have two of the chipped keys that came with the truck. How do I get it going? I've searched all the internet without any luck... they all say tow it to Ford... I'd like to avoid that... thanks for the help guys!

ScottT80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I should also mention I checked the fuses and relays in the cab as well as under the hood. I also tried starting in park as well as neutral.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If it's a pat system problem and I could be wrong the anti-theft light that blinks slowly will blink really fast when you try to start the truck.

ScottT80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll give that a try in the morning... thanks!

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Try not to over think this. Start with the basics, is the ignition switch working? do the dash lights come on when you turn the key to run? if you bridge the starter solenoid will the motor turn over? If it will turn over when you bridge the solenoid do the injectors pulse? You'll have to go through it systematically, there's a how to do it somewhere but I can't find it. Good luck.

ScottT80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The ignition switch seems fine. All the lights, electrical stuff seems fine... but I don't hear the fuel pump coming on which is why I suspect pats. I haven't tried going directly to the solenoid. I don't have a remote starter and I can't see how to jump it with a screwdriver the way it's mounted to the starter. Can you replace just the solenoid on these newer trucks?

Also, on the pats system... I don't see the theft light blinking any faster when I try to start it so maybe I am looking in the wrong direction there.

I've checked all the fuses twice and swapped relays around under the hood and it still won't turn over at all.

Thanks again for the input guys....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals