• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter Running Without Ignition Turned On

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Ok, so I go into town and stop at the store on my way to work. Come out start the Bronco 2 and starter continues to spin after I release the key. Drive around the corner to work, shut it off take the key out and the starter is still turning the engine over. Had to disconnect the battery. What do I need to replace?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Disconnect the small wire/terminal on the start solenoid and connect the battery if the starter still spins it is the solenoid. If the starter does not spin make sur the key is off and then connect the small wire if the starter spins the ignition switch is bad.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yep...solenoid can short out meaning the starter is getting constant juice...that is more likely the cause because I went through about 4 solenoids that were causing the same symptoms...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Solenoid is most likely if it keeps spinning with the clutch up. That should break the trigger circuit. I had my stuff wired up backwards once and the engine would die when I let the clutch out.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Thanks guys, pretty sure I probably damaged the starter since I drove it from the store back to work with the starter engaged still. So looks like probably a solenoid and starter at least, will find out more Monday as its sitting in the shop at the high school since I've had to work all day and didn't have time to mess with it or get it back home, high school kids in shop needed another project anyhow LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Ok, so I got the starter and solenoid replaced a couple weeks ago which fixed the problem until today. It started doing the same thing again. WTF is going on, this is starter relay #2 in one month. Any ideas what the problem could be to keep going through relays?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe the fusable link on the starter circuit is wonky??? There is, IIRC, a green wire with a fuse on it that connects to the solenoid positive side I believe...

Other than that, I went through a phase where I blew out three solenoids before finally correcting the problem...and the problem was the quality of the solenoids...they were shorting out internally and I did not change anything on the wiring or swap in other parts...

There should be a ceramic or plastic separator between the two main posts...this keeps the battery connections away from arching...and the arching is what causes the starter to keep running...I found two of my solenoids had that part disintegrated but on one of them it was intact with the same results...so it was shorting out internally...

I think I finally grabbed one out of the junk yard (better quality but very used) that is still on my truck...and I always carry a spare...so grab two if you can find them...they are the same on the 2.3 liter engines as the 2.8...I think!

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Had the same problem with my 84, how god of shape is your wireing harnes? If not to good check under the dash in the wire bundle to see if the start wire is grounding out on a hot wire as well. Thats what mine did took for ever to figure it out

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Well this morning I set out to replace the solenoid once again. After examining some wires I found one that goes to the little terminal on the side of the solenoid that had bare wires which were hitting above the headlight on the passenger side. I fixed that, then started installing the new solenoid only to break the cheap ass plastic housing while attaching that little wire. Took both solenoids back to the parts store, got a refund for them and then bought the top of the line solenoid they had which has a 3 year warranty, got it home got it installed and have driven it around town all day, seems to be ok, and the starting seems to actually be smoother with this solenoid, so maybe the others were just garbage to begin with. Heaven forbid something was made in the USA rather than China or Taiwan.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:icon_thumby:

Glad to hear you got it done...~

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals