• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oreilly Reman Starter Woes

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
My '76 3/4 ton highboy will crank real real slow when its hot, but great when its cold. Starter is a couple weeks old, battery is about a month old. Its so slow to crank that it will only start about half the time, and super easy to flood.

I put my hand on the starter, and it gets really hot while running, just from being close to the exhaust.

I've found if i start chucking snowballs at the starter through the gap in the fender mud guard right after I shut it off, it helps tremendously. This is a fine solution for me, but the snow will melt here in a few months, and then im a little screwed if i ever need to hot start it.

So I'm wondering if I should trade it out for a new starter or try to improvise some heat shielding from the exhaust. Anyone else had issues like this? Bad reman?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
My '76 3/4 ton highboy will crank real real slow when its hot, but great when its cold. Starter is a couple weeks old, battery is about a month old. Its so slow to crank that it will only start about half the time, and super easy to flood.

I put my hand on the starter, and it gets really hot while running, just from being close to the exhaust.

I've found if i start chucking snowballs at the starter through the gap in the fender mud guard right after I shut it off, it helps tremendously. This is a fine solution for me, but the snow will melt here in a few months, and then im a little screwed if i ever need to hot start it.

So I'm wondering if I should trade it out for a new starter or try to improvise some heat shielding from the exhaust. Anyone else had issues like this? Bad reman?
You might try and wrap some heat wrap on the exhaust where the starter is or make some kind of heat shield to protect the starter from the heat of the exhaust

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As well as wrapping the exhaust and building a shield I would check the wiring. After that many years current draw and heat could have fubar'd the wiring.

Sent from my ST27a using Tapatalk 2

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Especially the heavy cable.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hadn't thought of that. The cable gets snow on it too when i hit the starter, will check.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
As well as wrapping the exhaust and building a shield I would check the wiring. After that many years current draw and heat could have fubar'd the wiring.

This would be my guess too.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would do an amp draw test on the complete system, both when hot and cold, then at the starter itself. make sure you have good cables, and good grounds. i have had a couple of defective reman starters, and even on a new starter

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many Times, the "Field Coils" (the ones in the case), will get "thermal", What I mean is that as they warm up, the internal insulation IN the coils breaks down, and does NOT act correctly (they suck current, BUT do NOT produce the needed "Kick" to spin the armature), once cool again, they are "good to go again" until warm again.

IN the old days one could remove and RE-Wrap them, BUT with the cheapness of starters today, get it warranty replaced, as the field coils are "internally Shorted" when warm.

Greg

Last edited:

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Many Times, the "Field Coils" (the ones in the case), will get "thermal", What I mean is that as they warm up, the internal insulation IN the coils breaks down, and does NOT act correctly (they suck current, BUT do NOT produce the needed "Kick" to spin the armature), once cool again, they are "good to go again" until warm again.

IN the old days one could remove and RE-Wrap them, BUT with the cheapness of starters today, get it warranty replaced, as the field coils are "internally Shorted" when warm.

Greg
Thanks, ill probably do that. I talked to some other FE owners and they said that they dont have issues like this. My manifolds warp all the time, and need as much cooling as they can get.

Wires are brand new, and clean connections. I think oreilly just sold me a junk starter.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Check and double check that you have a proper ground from engine to frame and that your battery cable is probably grounded and making perfect contact. I would also double check teh battery, even though you say it is new. Check your charging system to see if the battery is being kept charged.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Is the timing advanced ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals