• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bw1350 swap

99-Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys im new here but i came over from the explorer forum to see if i cant get and answer so i picked up some transfer cases today and i have some problems i paid 150 for the 3 of them so i think i got a decent deal and can at least make my money back. i found that they were bw1350s after i bought them but i can deal with it being a little weaker but heres the problem what am i going to do with the front drive shaft?? the one that is on my bench is free spinning shifts good everything problem is that its a slip yoke front shaft i think.... the other 2 have problems one shifts and cant be turned the other doesnt shift and cant be turned so i thought i could break them open and swap the shafts to make it a fixed yoke front.... or can i get a slip yoke front shaft for my 2nd gen explorer???

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gonna have to get a driveshaft out of a 1350 truck with the A4LD transmission (there is one of the FM manuals that is the same length as well), the snag is they had D28 front axles so the shafts are 1" longer IF you had the TTB front axle (you don't) I am not for sure if it comes out the same or not with the full independant front axle...

At any rate you are going to a 1350 front driveshaft and probably either get it shortened or retubed longer.

Last edited:

99-Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay would it be possible to get the slip yoke from another drivesaft and put it on my cv joint front shaft? cause i would rather not have to get one cut and shortened. what year and model trucks can i get them from?

my buddy told me that i could use one from a jeep??

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
You want a front shaft from an 85-87 TK5 or Fm145 5 Speed truck. It is about 1.5" shorter than that A4LD shaft, and will work with an A4LD length trans and D35 front.

99-Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
okay im not too familar with yals bronco 2s so you saying i need the drive shaft from a 85-87 bronco 2 with a 5 speed tranny correct? i have a 5r55e auto trans if that makes a difference. im going to call around to the junkyards today.

99-Exploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Or do i need one from a ranger with a slip yoke? I also heard i could get one from a jeep is that true?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals