• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird sound in engine bay.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I'm out of town and I've noticed a weird sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. By the alternator almost. Kind of sounds like an actuator going off if that makes any sense. Like the sound of an electric trunk being opened once it's already open. It is followed or preceded by a light knock or what sounds like it. I have noticed my truck stuttering once or twice when I put the pedal all the way down. Any help?!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Certainly could be the alternator, but couldn't tell from the video...

Does the gauge flop around or are you having trouble starting?

I'd go to the nearest yard and pick up a used one if possible...just replaced mine and it was $200 for a rebuild...the previous one cost me $25 at the yard and lasted for 8 years...

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Certainly could be the alternator, but couldn't tell from the video...

Does the gauge flop around or are you having trouble starting?

I'd go to the nearest yard and pick up a used one if possible...just replaced mine and it was $200 for a rebuild...the previous one cost me $25 at the yard and lasted for 8 years...
Nah gauge is steady. Aside from the noise and the occasional misfire (needs a tune up). Well a new one is 150 and I'll probably snag one from an explorer for more amps. Guess I'll just take the drive and replace it soon. The clacking really sounds like it's originating from the alternator.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
IF the alternator is in a good location...Use a very long screw driver. Hold the tip against the body of the alternator and put the handle part next to your ear. It will amp the audio and you'll be able to 'hear' where and if that sound is from the alternator. Just don't do this if you have long hair...otherwise it can get caught in the belt--along with loose clothes, etc...

S-

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A simple way to find out what's causing the noise, if you think its one of the components that's belt driven, take the belt off start the truck and see if the noise goes away.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
IF the alternator is in a good location...Use a very long screw driver. Hold the tip against the body of the alternator and put the handle part next to your ear. It will amp the audio and you'll be able to 'hear' where and if that sound is from the alternator. Just don't do this if you have long hair...otherwise it can get caught in the belt--along with loose clothes, etc...

S-
Actually I did this, that's why I suspect my alternator

dngrrangr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my 92 ranger ac compressor sounds like that have you tried just unplugging the connector from it? it sounds like it trys to kick in but wont. even when my sc aint on. so i just completely unplugged it and left it off never made the nose again.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
A simple way to find out what's causing the noise, if you think its one of the components that's belt driven, take the belt off start the truck and see if the noise goes away.
And spin the alternator by hand and see if you hear anything.

I think it sounds like a bearing. You will be able to feel it hang up when you spin it by hand.

Last edited:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I'll try all these things as soon as I'm in town. For now I'm fairly certain it's the alternator. I'll remove the belt as soon as I can. How long can you run the engine that way safely, a minute maybe?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Safely run the engine with the belt off? 3-10 minutes. The colder the engine is when you start it the more time you get. If it is dead cold you can run it for about as long as it would take to get it to temp before you run into a real problem.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
That sound? You can't identify it? That's the sound that it makes when your hamster has a broken leg. :icon_twisted:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Safely run the engine with the belt off? 3-10 minutes. The colder the engine is when you start it the more time you get. If it is dead cold you can run it for about as long as it would take to get it to temp before you run into a real problem.
Sounded like from his youtube video the noise what there right at start-up so running with the fan belt off isn't going to hurt anything.

What my 1SG in my national guard unit always did with his Honda Civic was just turn the radio up louder to drown out all the bad noises his car was making, 4 years later he's still driving the same car LOL. Use the radio trick it must fix a lot of problems LOL.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Then there's that battery thing. If your battery isn't in decent shape, you may get less.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals