• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ranger 2.3L oil is gone.

dngrrangr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
okay i have a 92 ranger 2.3L i rolled it on the passenger side like 4 months ago drove it fine a month after. i got a van from my grandparents and parked it its been sitting for 3 months now maybe more im not completely sure anyways i started it regularly to keep everything oiled. well i knew it was leaking oil but now theres none (found out by starting it one day and it was knocking bad and couldnt ever rev at all). ive read it could be the rear main seal as thats where the leak is. and its covering the bellhousing. i dont have the money to take it to someone and im mechanically inclined so im just doing it myself. a lil bit ago i read it might also be the rear of the oil pan gasket whch i still have to drop the trans to get to. but any tips pointers on how to do it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oil pan leak is a gravity leak so won't cause all the oil to disappear.
Main seal leak is a pressure leak so can pump out all the oil while engine is running.

The knocking is the troublesome part, once you hear it the parts are wearing and damage starts.
I would refill with oil and restart, make sure there is no knocking, if there isn't then putting in a new rear main seal would be worth the effort.
I would also find out where the leak is could be front main seal.

If there is knocking and it is coming from the lower part of the engine(use a broom handle as stethoscope) then a rod bearing has been damaged and you will need to pull the engine or drop the oil pan and install new rod bearings, crankshaft bearings would be good to do as well, and of course the rear main seal.

Last edited:

dngrrangr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ive thought bout doing that but i know the knocking is just because there is no oil if i put oil in it wont knock but i need to find where the oil is leaking from my friends dad just told me i need to check the oil pan for holes and where the drain is need to check that. but where it looks like its coming from is the hole that has (what i think) oil gauge. i have an after market one due to the factory not worth a shit and i cant see it flux.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The oil pressure sender can leak oil and it would be a pressure leak so could drain the oil while engine is running, but............with that amount of oil coming out of it you wouldn't "think" it was leaking oil, you would "know" it is leaking oil.

The roll over, even on to it's side, would cause much of the oil to leak out, I assume you checked the oil level after it was righted and before you started it?

dngrrangr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yes i did. it was still full only thing that really broke that was visable was the top radiator hose mouth. and i changed the oil and put 30w in cause the guy i was living with gave it to me for free. but the reason im thinking its that and not know is cause the oil pan is covered on driver side and trans bellhousing is covered completely. anyways i got my friend here he bout to help me drop the trans. to check the pan seal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals