• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Ranger Brake problems

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys I am having some problems with the brakes on my 90 ranger xlt 2.9. This is the story we had a line to the rear rust through so we replaced it by piecing it together, I am sure that the connections are tight. We bled the breaks and they were ok got some fluid out of the back but not a real heavy squirt but it seemed ok. So we started to drive it we drove it all day wednesday, on our way back home the brakes went out, nothing at all. We came to find that the master cylinder cap had fluid leaking out of it when you would push the brakes just around the cap. So we replaced the cap and still the same thing we tried to bleed it again still the same thing the rear has some fluid but not a real heavy stream, the front are pretty good. When you take the cap off and push the brakes with your hand over it it has good suction, but we still cant seem to get anything for brakes out of it, does anybody seem to have any ideas as to what the problem might be? We have been playing with this for about two weeks now and cant get anywhere, any and all help is appreciated. As always thanks for your help guys and gals!!! LONG LIVE TRS!!!:icon_thumby: :icon_cheers:

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Wow nobody has any suggestions, didn't really see that coming? Is my page just not showing anything, I don't get it?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
whoa there, grasshopper. I got my own troubles. Take the cap off the MC.open the RR bleeder and wait a bit. If after a few minutes, there is a good stream, close the bleeder. Top off the MC, then open the LR and wait until there is a clear flow. Rinse and repeat. Dont even touch the pedal during the process. Bleeders wont bleed? Then there is a loose fitting somewhere.

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Lmao sorry about that, I have been having trouble with my internet I just wasent sure if the page was loading. I will try that hopefully it will work I'm at my last page with this but thanks for the help I will let you know how I make out. Sorry again for the impatience!!! :icon_thumby: :icon_cheers:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The other thing that may have you messed up is crud in the MC itself. You say you push the pedal and fluid comes out of the cap? Doesn't sound good to me. Have you ever opened a MC and looked inside. The Ranger MC is a fairly simple device that also handles the proportioning balance between front and back wheels. When a MC blows fluid out of the cap it is because fluid is getting past the piston and pressurizing behind it. Something that should not happen. This causes fluid to push back into the reservoir and out around the cap.

There are two scenarios that I can see that would cause this to happen. One is crud in the brake fluid that embeds itself in the rubber of the piston creating a channel for the fluid to push past the piston. The second is (the one I have) is that corrosion has pitted the inside of the cylinder allowing fluid to push back past the piston. Either way you have fluid getting where it should not go. Look to see if under the MC you have fluid seeping down the front of the brake booster. This not only indicates the forward part of the rear piston is passing fluid but that the rear sealing cup is also blowing by.

Depending on the condition of the MC body you may be able to kit it. (about $30) Or replace it entirely. (about $50).

Overall it sounds to me like the corroded lines have caused other problems and you may have to open up the rear wheel cylinders as well and clean them out. Leaving crud floating around in your brakes is not only bad but can cause your brakes to outright fail when you need them the most.

If you wish I will post pictures of a disassembled MC showing the piston layout and the pitting that can cause cylinder failure.

Last edited:

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot for all your help guys, I have decied to replace the MC all together. I bought one today this Saturday I'm going to put it on and see what happens, hopefully all is well. Thanks for all your help fellas, it is always appreciated from a newbie. To think I use to be a strictly Chevy man, now I would never trade my little ranger for anything. They are nearly indistructable. I will keep you guys updated!!! :icon_cheers:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Now Grasshopper........ (notice that I capitalized Grasshopper because you have bcome wiser)........take your time bleeding the new master cylinder FIRST and keep it FULL at all times while you bleed the wheel cylinders....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals