• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 7.3l powerstroke diesel. overboost codes at idle?

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i start my dd and i am getting a P1249 code at idle. i took the programmer off and still P1249. i checked all the wires n plugs but it seems like its a wastegate issue but i dont know how to check. help please!

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see how you could be over boost at idle. the wastegate is usually closed at isle as there's not enough exhaust to spin up the turbo to anything usable. Did you clear the codes after you took the programmer off?

BoostCreep89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Meh

Hey I had a problem similar, check fuel filter and vacuum lines. Excess heat from running lean can cause increased turbo rpm. Turbos don't spin from manifold pressure But rather the "pulse" of each cylinders exhaust stroke. So a lean condition burns quicker since less fuel to burn causing a "faster pulse" therefore an increased idle boost reading or over boost at idle. Hope this helps!

BoostCreep89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh and diesels gel so use fuel mantainence

NEVERDONE86

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I clear the code every time I start it. It has a new fuel filter about 2 weeks ago. When it starts on a cold day u always hear the blow by out the exhaust but it doesn't do it anymore. All the connections are plugged in and all the vac lines are where they are supposed to be.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Try unplugging the exhaust valve on the back of the turbo it could be getting plugged up. You can also remove the red line going to the waste gate and see if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals