• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please Help!!!

obisdogg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger 4.0 5speed. i have replaced the alternator battery solenoid and startes is a few months old. my problem is my volt gage in my truck will read normal drive a few miles then it drops low. and my truck will not start unless i jump it. im lost and my truck is sitting 50 miles away from my house right now!

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Battery is not charging. Check the fusible link in the heavy red cable and the 15A fuse in the engine compartment fuseblock.

obisdogg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok the fuse would in the box under the dash? and i can not find where the fuse link is at.

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
The fusible link will be in the wiring harness, near the solenoid. The 15A fuse is not under the dash. There is a fusebox in the engine compartment. There is a 15A fuse for the alternator in there.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alt. could be bad even tho its new. thats happened to me more than once from autozone and advanced auto parts. i only let my local guy rebuild them for me now, also have you cleaned and checked all wire connections?

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Couple of things to check. Use a digital voltmeter. Start with a fully charged battery.

Check the battery voltage. ~12-12.5 V engine off . Start the engine and let it idle. Battery voltage should climb around 1 V to 13-14 V. No rise, or a small drop, charging system is not working.

With the engine off, check for 12V at the heavy red wire on the back of the alternator. No voltage?, check that fusible link or the connection at the solenoid.

With the key off, check for constant +12V at the A terminal of the 3 wire alternator connection. No voltage?, check the 15A alternator fuse in the engine compartment fusebox.

Check for voltage at the I terminal of the 3 wire alternator connector. +12V with the ignition on, (engine does not have to be running). 0V with the key off.

Don't worry about the S terminal. Internal wiring between the alternator and regulator.

obisdogg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok ive done all that everything is good. would my starter have anything to do with this. my oil pain leaks right on the starter would that maybe cause it to short out at all? and cause this to lose power or would it have to go back to the alt?

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
If it starts with a boost, likely won't be starter or cables. Post what you measured, (actual readings). Maybe we can help you figure this out.

Just a thought, any big stereo amps wired into this?

obisdogg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok will do and no amp or anything running every thing is factory on truck.

locked ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/95
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The oil getting inside the starter will destroy it very fast, this is coming from a buddy that rebuilds them daily but like mrrangersir said, it shouldnt be the starter if it starts with a boost.

JackDW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a simular issue with daughters Ranger 4.0. Turned out to just be the flat plug where it plugs into the alternator. When I shook it back and forth, it would charge and then stop charging. Explains why it would come and go. I have a charger that has an alternator tester build in. I would watch the voltage go up and down as I shook the plug. You can do the test with any old multi-meter.

obisdogg1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive got it fixed now. found a bad wire from the alt to solenoid. it was in the plastic wiring cover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals