• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorers

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to buy a explorer in the 91 - 94 range I would love for it to be the 5speed version. I have never owned one but have owned numerous rangers / f150s .. What are some things to check for / watch out for

I want to build it to be just a good dependable " All terrain " vehicle for easy - to very mild trails... Not into rock crawling or mud bogging..

It will have 33x12.50 tires .. not bigger no smaller

What mods and improvements would need to be done or just help for my goals? It also needs to be capable in snow

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'd stick with an older model with the solid front axle to avoid that independent front suspension crap. Also try and get a hold of one that still has the manual lock in hubs and manual transfer case. Seems like the electronics & vacuum system can be problematic in them. Best thing to do is look and shop around there are good ones out there just have to find them. The ones I see around where I live have already been beat to crap and the seller still wants to make tons of money on them and they're not worth anything at that point. Just check everything over and test drive it thoroughly, if the owner won't let you test drive it walk away.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd stick with an older model with the solid front axle to avoid that independent front suspension crap. Also try and get a hold of one that still has the manual lock in hubs and manual transfer case. Seems like the electronics & vacuum system can be problematic in them. Best thing to do is look and shop around there are good ones out there just have to find them. The ones I see around where I live have already been beat to crap and the seller still wants to make tons of money on them and they're not worth anything at that point. Just check everything over and test drive it thoroughly, if the owner won't let you test drive it walk away.
All explorers have independent front suspension, the 91-94 have the ttb front end, don't know about 2nd Gen, but I do know it is difficult to lift a 95.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Ok, so when the explorer first came out it had a solid axle correct? Or were all of them TTB's? I could have sworn the first generation models all had like a Dana 35 in them.

I'd rather stick with the TTB than the actual new generation IFS crap which seems pretty weak to me. My parents had a 95 and it was a pile of crap, course I don't think my step-dad helped it any, I know the 4WD in it was worthless as the system never did work like it was supposed to, it kind of worked whenever it felt like it sometimes would even engage when it was in 2WD mode.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so when the explorer first came out it had a solid axle correct? Or were all of them TTB's? I could have sworn the first generation models all had like a Dana 35 in them.

I'd rather stick with the TTB than the actual new generation IFS crap which seems pretty weak to me. My parents had a 95 and it was a pile of crap, course I don't think my step-dad helped it any, I know the 4WD in it was worthless as the system never did work like it was supposed to, it kind of worked whenever it felt like it sometimes would even engage when it was in 2WD mode.
All explorers had a type of IFS.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
heres the plan so far

5speed ( either swapped or stock ) depends on what i can find
Manual transfer case .. again will swap one in if i can find one with it stock
Manual hub
4inch suspension lift OR 3 inch body depends on costs
33inch tires
Air or E locker for the rear
swap in 95+ 8.8 rear with disc brakes

What gears would you run stock 3.73 or go up to 4.10

What is the best / cheapest route to go for lift

This wont be a hardcore off road machine. Just something that is very capable in snow. Something that i can cruise the mountains with and not be hating it.. About the roughest terrain I will take it on is rutted up logging roads .... Got any advice or see anything on my list you wouldn't do?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I run 4.10 with 31" tires.

Richard

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
you would be hard pressed to find a expo with 3:73's most came with 3:27's and the 5 speed was rare i believe, don't do body lift do a suspension, just go full time locker, saves you money since air and e lockers break down more so. and wildbill no expo ever came with sfa the 91-94 had ttb and 95+ has ifs i believe.

tpking

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
you would be hard pressed to find a expo with 3:73's most came with 3:27's and the 5 speed was rare i believe, don't do body lift do a suspension, just go full time locker, saves you money since air and e lockers break down more so. and wildbill no expo ever came with sfa the 91-94 had ttb and 95+ has ifs i believe.

I know the 5 speed is rare ill swap it in if it come to that, the only reason i dont want to go to full time locker it will be driven daily on the road

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a first gen explorer with 3:73's and run 33 x 12.5 tyres. It's fine, but might be better with 4:11 or 4:56. It has the factory lsd with the extra clutch in the pack (mod is in the tech library), it works well on the roads and is ok on the trails as long as you keep both rear wheels on the ground. I would recommend a good 2" receiver on each end, you'll need a good tow point when it gets stuck (when mine gets stuck it really gets stuck) 5 - 6 inch lift is the easiest range to work with due to the rear axle flip, you will have to address the steering though or it will drive like crap.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They did have the D35... but it was a TTB just like what is in your BII but much stronger.

No RBV ever came from the factory with a solid front axle.

5 speeds are more common on the low end older (91-94) Explorers. Lower gearing like 3.73's and 4.10's is more common on the later (95+) ones. More likely to be found on the higher end ones to make them feel snappier.

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3.73 gears were included with the towing pack, it's pretty common gearing with the Explorer (3.55 is probably the most common). You'll have a hard time finding one with a manual transfer case. Easy to swap out but with a new shift motor is just as reliable as the lever. Switch out to manual hubs is easy and advisable.

Biggest thing would be body rust. The rockers rust out, rear wheel arches as well and definitely around the fuel filler cap. Shackles are also getting on and should be inspected but I assume you'd replace for the lift. If you can't find a manual, ones with blow autos are cheap and easy to find. The manual swap is easy and can be done for under $1k as you seem to be rather mechanically inclined.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Guess the explorers I've seen have been modified by their owners a bit then, I've seen several running around with true solid axles. The TTB system doesn't seem too bad compared to the completely IFS systems in use in most vehicles today that the first time you hit a pothole wrong the front end is out of alignment.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
hey buddy i just bought a 1999 Explorer 4x4 5 speed and I paid about $500. It needs some work but will run and drive and the 4wd works. It has an electric engaging t-case. I used the 4wd to get it up on my trailer and it didn't have any problems. I joined another explorer forum called explorerforum.com and they have helped a lot with many of my questions. As far as lifting it without modifications. I believe you can get as much as 5.5" of lift before you have to change anything like lengthening or other modifications. Now those modifications are lifting the torsion bars in the front 2-2.5" and then match the back with a set of warrior shackles which will lift the rear 1.75". Then add a 3 inch body lift.

I am not sure with yours because it is a 1 gen explorer and mine is a 2nd gen explorer so i do have the IFS. The suspension lift kits for mine run about $1500+ for a complete kit so that is why I am going with a $180 3" body lift. I am going the same route as you. With a mild lift and some 33" all terrains. Mine probably won't ever seen trails. Mine is going to be more for pulling my B2 around to the different ORV parks in my area.

The only thing I have heard so far that can be an issue if you find a factory 5 speed is there are 3 rubber plugs in the top end of the transmission. These plugs are known to rot and come out and all the fluid spew out while in operation. Then you cook the trans and you know what kind of headache a trans rebuild can be. They sell a kit that has metal plugs that replace the rubber ones and you can avoid a huge headache.

I don't really know too much about the explorers yet but the tech library on the other site has a lot of information and many of the members here know a lot themselves. Good luck with the search! :icon_thumby:

IAmTodd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guess the explorers I've seen have been modified by their owners a bit then, I've seen several running around with true solid axles. The TTB system doesn't seem too bad compared to the completely IFS systems in use in most vehicles today that the first time you hit a pothole wrong the front end is out of alignment.
I've done well over 100k combined miles in a '95 Sport and an '00 XLT and the front end is still pretty stout. For a street/mild offroad truck you'll do just fine. If you can do without low range the 5.0 V8 is the way to go. My 2000 truck never skipped a beat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals