• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

no power to anything!!!!!!! please help

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
over the last few days when i would try to start the 86 ranger it would try to start, it would turn over then nothing else would happen. i would wiggle the battery cables get in and start it right up. i wanted to see if i could fix that issue by cleaning all the battery cable and such. when i went to disconect the battery cable i accidently touched the positive cable to the truck body which it sparked. i continued to clean the terminals posts removed the wires from the starter solenoid that is on the inner fender. i cleaned all this with a wire brush. from the previous owner who has jerry rigged just about every wire on this truck i cut a couple of wires and put connectors on a couple of the wires to reduce some of the jerry rigging. i then continued to put all the wires and battery back on/in the truck. i went to turn the key and ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING HAPPENED. the heater is hard wired in (compliments of previous owner) and it will turn on. the started solenoid on the fender has three wires (well more like 5 0r 6 do to the jerry riggine but basicly the ones that matter are) connected to it, the battery to the solenoid(8 gauge) the solenoid to the starter (8 gauge) and the solenoid to i dont know where but its a red wire with a blue stripe i tired to trace it but lost it when it went from one connector on the drivers side to another connector and changed to a red with a light blue stripe. it goes into the cab behind the dash and from there i cant find it. i had the wife turn the key to the crank position the see if the starter solenoid was getting power but when i tested it with my meter i didnt get anything. from the battery to the starter solenoid it gets 12vdc. i dont know much when it comes to wiring and how power works and i dont know which way the current should flow. it seems like the ignition key is not giving power to the starter solenoid. i checked all the fuses and they are good. i checked the three relays and all but one is getting power. if i am not mistaking the one that isnt getting power is to the fuel pump which if i am correct shouldnt power up since i am not getting power anywhere else. i dont know why nothing is getting power. i am at a complete loss. could it be the started solenoid? could i have fried the ecm? could i have blew something else up? is something in the ignition switch messed up? i have to have this running by monday so i can make it to work what shoud i test how should i test it. please if you can dumb it down for me as i am not inteligent when it comes to wires.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That solinoid has inbound from the battery, outbound to starter and the tickle wire (S Terminal) Put 12 vdc to the S term, if it cranks then your dealing with your colume/key. You can arc it contact to contact across the solinoid but if it groans and your screwdriver turns orange hot your starter is not happy. If you can wiggle your battery connections and asking then you're pretty much lost.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would start by getting a brush and cleaning the battery terminals, and checking all the little lines coming off the ground cable for damage or loose connections.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
over the last few days when i would try to start the 86 ranger it would try to start, it would turn over then nothing else would happen. i would wiggle the battery cables get in and start it right up. i wanted to see if i could fix that issue by cleaning all the battery cable and such. when i went to disconect the battery cable i accidently touched the positive cable to the truck body which it sparked. i continued to clean the terminals posts removed the wires from the starter solenoid that is on the inner fender. i cleaned all this with a wire brush. from the previous owner who has jerry rigged just about every wire on this truck i cut a couple of wires and put connectors on a couple of the wires to reduce some of the jerry rigging. i then continued to put all the wires and battery back on/in the truck. i went to turn the key and ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING HAPPENED. the heater is hard wired in (compliments of previous owner) and it will turn on. the started solenoid on the fender has three wires (well more like 5 0r 6 do to the jerry riggine but basicly the ones that matter are) connected to it, the battery to the solenoid(8 gauge) the solenoid to the starter (8 gauge) and the solenoid to i dont know where but its a red wire with a blue stripe i tired to trace it but lost it when it went from one connector on the drivers side to another connector and changed to a red with a light blue stripe. it goes into the cab behind the dash and from there i cant find it. i had the wife turn the key to the crank position the see if the starter solenoid was getting power but when i tested it with my meter i didnt get anything. from the battery to the starter solenoid it gets 12vdc. i dont know much when it comes to wiring and how power works and i dont know which way the current should flow. it seems like the ignition key is not giving power to the starter solenoid. i checked all the fuses and they are good. i checked the three relays and all but one is getting power. if i am not mistaking the one that isnt getting power is to the fuel pump which if i am correct shouldnt power up since i am not getting power anywhere else. i dont know why nothing is getting power. i am at a complete loss. could it be the started solenoid? could i have fried the ecm? could i have blew something else up? is something in the ignition switch messed up? i have to have this running by monday so i can make it to work what shoud i test how should i test it. please if you can dumb it down for me as i am not inteligent when it comes to wires.

Hey Dangerranger390, please take a few minutes or more to separate the paragraph.
Get rid of all of the “I did this and I did that” just list out what was done.

I started to read this twice and gave up, too confusing.

PLEASE rewrite it and I would be glad to put in my 2 cents, if I even can.

Also, sorry if this is being a A-Hole but, "if it can’t be read who will help out”.

Thanks

Last edited:

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you might've fried the starter motor...

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i will list out what was done.
1. cleaned all terminals on battery and starter solenoid
2. added connectors to wires that didint have any
3. touched the positive post to the body of the truck. it arced
what i have trouble shot
1. all relays good
2. battery good
3. heater is hardwired checked good
4. can contact the "s" wire to 12 vdc and it will try to start.
5.all fuses check good
6. turned the key to the run position tested the "s" wire for 12vdc and got nothing.
7. starter solenoid is getting power from the battery and it seems like the ignition swith is not getting power to the solenoid.
now for the problem
1. no power to anything except the heater which is hardwired.
2. no headlights.
3. no ticking when ignition switch is on.
4. absolutely nothing

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well headlights are always hot, so the switch is probably out.

You cleaned the stuff at the big relay, so I'm assuming you had the wires off of it.

Is the battery cable against everything else?

Got a volt meter? Check for power at the relay.

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well headlights are always hot, so the switch is probably out.

You cleaned the stuff at the big relay, so I'm assuming you had the wires off of it.

Is the battery cable against everything else?

Got a volt meter? Check for power at the relay.
ive checked all the relays and they are good. i cleaned all th stuff it is getting power to the starter solenoid. i know headlights should always be hot thats what is confusing me cause it sounds like multiple symptoms. is there anymore fuses that i cant see. i am also thinking it could be a fuseable link that i havent tested yet. there are two i need to test. i dont know if there are any that i dont know about. i will be looking for more and im just hoping its a fuseable link. but again i dont know and will be testing these in the next couple of hours.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Got any jumper cables?

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
already tried it and the battery is good. getting 12vdc i tested it with a volt meter

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No, I want you to use one to run from the battery negative to the body.

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I will give it a shot ill let u know shortly

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
On my Grand Wags, I would be checking the fusible links. My bandaid was to back feed the ignition at the coil and jumping the solenoid. This got me home without headlights. Then I had to find the blown FL.

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so it ended up being a wire that wasn't connect that I thought wasn't connected when I hooked everything back up. I don't t know it runs so that's a good enough answer for me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals