• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

disc break bearings

Jmazda94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced my ball joints and i am putting my disc back on but the bearing on the back side of the disc keep popping out, i dont think that is good. Also the bearing itself is it supposed to be tight in the rotor or loose? This is a relatively new rotor and bearing set..can't remember if it is supposed to be tight fitting. When I put it all on and but the large locking nut with pin back on it the rotar is not tight fitting..not sure what to do. Its saturday and nothing is open tomorrow..

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
There should be a seal holding that one in if it's like mine?

Just noticed: Is the bearing in a cup or on the rotor directly?????

They fit snug in the bearing races so if you are missing the cup/race then thats bad.

Last edited:

Jmazda94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thats a good question..im going to have to check that later. When I but the grease seal on the bearing isn't snug..its loose. I did my other hub assembly awhile ago and can't remember if that is how its suposed to be? I can't get the rotor to fit tightly on the spindle.. I think it is because of that bearing.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The bearing will wobble in the race just sitting there on the floor. They arent real tight until installed and adjusted. The seal should be tight. If it is loose it was probably reused.

Last edited:

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Each wheel bearing itself comes in 2 halves that are known as the bearing and the race. The race is the outer ring that the bearing rides within. In that diagram posted by Observer, the race is labeled as "cup". The race gets worn, so it should be replaced along with the bearing. There is another set (both bearing and race) on the other side of the same rotor. Yes, everything will wobble until you tighten the big lock-nut.

The race is hammered or pressed into the back (and front) side of the rotor, so it's a super-tight fit and make SURE it's seated properly (all the way in). The roller bearings are cone-shaped, so they're gonna wanna fall out until the huge nut is on. The nut should be very snug, but not jammed tight. The rotor needs to spin easily.

My photos are here: http://imgur.com/a/d8skq

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced my ball joints and i am putting my disc back on but the bearing on the back side of the disc keep popping out, i dont think that is good. Also the bearing itself is it supposed to be tight in the rotor or loose? This is a relatively new rotor and bearing set..can't remember if it is supposed to be tight fitting. When I put it all on and but the large locking nut with pin back on it the rotar is not tight fitting..not sure what to do. Its saturday and nothing is open tomorrow..
Well it sounds like you are reusing the parts that came out, so that means something fell out or those bearings and races are severely worn.

Have you wiped the grease off and checked for pitting/gouging or discoloration?

There should be a washer that goes between the outer race and the locknut.

Is this a 4WD? if so the inner and outer bearing are the same size, but if this is a 2WD the outer bearing is smaller than the inner so make sure they didn't get switched

Jmazda94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks for all the help! the bearings and rotor were replaced by a professional in town here. Just make me worried that when I pulled the rotor off the rear inner wheel bearing and grease seal fell out and were on the spindle..dont think thats right. gonna try and get it tight this afternoon so I can get my truck working again. Havn't checked for pitting or discoloration but they are both less than a year old.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's pretty normal. The left one on my B2 does that as well. Races are hard to get on and off the spindle, and the bearing stays on the spindle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals