• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

when i start my truck it revs but wont idle

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
finally got a guy to fix my truck. he said the starter was bad so bought a new one and my wiring was bad so put my engine on 0" top dead center and wired the distributor, set the timing and now it starts up strong but now when i turn the key on run it rev's and when i turn the key to the on position it dies? so what do u think?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Vacuum leak...maybe check those manifold bolts...might be one missing...or a hose off somewhere...

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like there is no power to your ignition in the on position, but there is from the start position.

Normally, I'd put an ignition switch in, or at least check it. However since you re-wired the distributor, I'd check that first.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
rewired the distributor meaning i took off the spark plug wires

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I would check the TPS and IAC.

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
i cleaned the iac and when i tried running it with the tps unpluged and it was the same

IslandFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I think you need a new mechanic. If I am reading this correctly, the engine runs when on "run" and doesn't run when on "on." This seems to be normal behavior in my world. If I am missing something, please let me know (more details) what it is I am missing. Thanks

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
Its not and egr valve problem because I don't have one. It was the fuel pressure regulator that made noise. So I took off the distributor and it was the rotor tip came off and I bought a new one at napa autoparts. But it still won't start

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
I mean it starts but won't run

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
OK... I admit to not knowing gen 1 Rangers at all. But in the old days of distributors and points and such solenoids had 2 terminals on them. One would bypass the ignition resistance wire that fed the coil so it would receive the full 12 volts while cranking and drop back to 6 volts once you released the key for the engine to run. When we would have this exact symptom either the resistance wire was not connected, was burnt out, or was hooked to the wrong terminal on the solenoid.

Take a look at what was done and I'll almost lay money on it that your solenoid is wired wrong.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes ^^^

Your solenoid has two smaller wires that hook up to small studs, just push on, one labeled "S" the other labeled "I", the "S" wire activates the solenoid, gets starter motor turning, the "I" wire goes to the coil and gives the coil 12v for better spark when cranking.
Once you release the key, stop cranking, that 12v cuts off, and coil should be running 7-9volts from a ballast resistor or wire.
So coil has a "start" wire and a "run" wire

You most likely have 12v at the key since you can activate the solenoid, but at the coil there may be a missing wire, the 7-9v wire that comes from the key switch.

Does your amp meter in the dash work?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It sounds to me like you have the starter relay wired up bass-ackwards. My 87 did the exact same thing when I first got the engine back in it. Anything you did that broke the start circuit (let the key out of start, let the clutch up, etc) and the engine shut off clean as if the key had been turned off.

The two big posts on the starter relay where the battery+ cable runs to.

The wire to the starter needs to be on the front post. ALL the other cables need to be on the back post. If you have the battery cable away from all the little wires that go there then taking the key out of "start" is the same as shutting down power to everything in the cab, including the computer and ignition systems.

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
I don't have an amp meter on my truck. U can watch my video on YouTube I'll post it here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iGjqmDwoS48

That video was old but I bought a new starter, alternator, coil, a big battery that is made for my truck, I fix my tackometer and speedometer. The gay ass vacuum filter that I taped to the throttle body is off, so no filter. I just put all the old spark plugs on it because it looked like they were longer and would touch the piston better. And I think my friend told me I need a new ignation module because I checked for spark and I was not getting any. My solenoid I fix because it was wrong the first time I got my truck. I only have a gas gauge and tempeture gauge on my truck. And ther are a lot of spliced wire on my truck and like I said before my friend was getting all his parts from a junk yard. I love that I'm getting help from u guys and my mechanic is coming on wednesday so he will check it out & tell me what I was doing wrong and I still need to pay $550 back taxes on it too. My $800 truck is worth spending money on it because I will be making something I want it to be. I still want a super chager on it. I was thinking about a Subaru STI engine with turbo but that's my dream.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals