• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 explorer 4.6

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My exploder was "missing" while cruising. Especially evident around 2k rpm. It felt obvious like a bad plug. I picked up new plugs and swapped them in this evening. The miss seems to be gone but when I took it for a test drive, the motor would rev almost to red line before shifting and then didn't want to downshift.

Plugs on the rear of the block (both sides) were pretty white. And the rest of the plugs had oil deposits but not enough to worry me on a motor with 140k. The lean plugs though had my attention.

The only thing I can find is a loose wire on the south east corner of the block. It is coming out of the same loom as the connector to the coil. I cannot find where it would connect though.

The motor idles just fine and going down the road I don't feel it "missing" at all. It just seems underpowered and will not shift correctly. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to check the codes, but I was hoping for some ideas tonight.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Spray around where the intake mates to the heads. Do a general check over for possible vacum leaks. Not sure if the 4.6l has manifold gasket issues with age but I have seen more and more rubber intake gaskets start dieing around 6 or so years old.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you gap the plugs?

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you gap the plugs?

Yep. Also cleaned the intake, coils and around the coils best I could.

It fires right up. Also, the battery light is now coming on and the "check charging system" message is appearing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals