• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cant pump gas after replacing fuel filler neck

Nicole

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I recently had to replace the fuel filler neck in order to register my truck because I failed that new CA EVAP test. Since the replacement I have been unable to pump gas in my truck. The pump just click click clicks as though my tank is already full. I also noticed it does not release any pressure when I unscrew the gas cap to fill-up.

I have left it with the mechanic 3x already and he cant seem to figure out whats going on. We even replaced the filler neck twice thinking the first one was defective. I am filling up $10 at a time and dont know what to do???

hyperjc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently had to replace the fuel filler neck in order to register my truck because I failed that new CA EVAP test. Since the replacement I have been unable to pump gas in my truck. The pump just click click clicks as though my tank is already full. I also noticed it does not release any pressure when I unscrew the gas cap to fill-up.

I have left it with the mechanic 3x already and he cant seem to figure out whats going on. We even replaced the filler neck twice thinking the first one was defective. I am filling up $10 at a time and dont know what to do???
I know this is an old thread but how did you fix this? I have the same problem now and I'm trying to find a work around the issue.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the inside sleeve got kinked. i had to replace this on my buddies 95 an the problem was the sleeve got twisted and kinked. he went to put gas in it an the pump just clicked. loosened everything up an repositioned it an it worked great afterwards.. i would try that an see what happens.

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have that problem with my truck. I just pull the fuel nozel out a bit so the fumes can vent out.

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently replaced the fuel lines, sender/fuel pump, filler neck, and fuel filter on my brother's 1993 Ranger. The new filler neck looked exactly like the OEM unit, except that it didn't have the metal sleeve (fits inside the filler neck at the bottom and appeared to go into the plastic neck on the fuel tank). I personally didn't see what purpose it served (other than possibly to prevent overtightening of the clamp that holds the filler neck onto the fuel tank, so I didn't transfer it into the new filler neck. Could this cause a problem?

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

Bill

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
me too all i did was removed the sleeve and it now pumps up tp 10 and then it clicks off. after that i can fill it up

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't taken the truck to the gas station yet to fill up, but I did put some gas in it using a hand held gas tank. I didn't have any problems. It sounds like the inner hose of the filler neck is crimped to me. I'll post after we try to fill the truck up at the gas station and let you know if we have any problems. If we do, I am gonna re-install the metal sleeve and see if that fixes the problem.

Bill

STP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Failed CA Evaporative test

I just failed. I know it is the filler neck, because it leaks when I fill my tank up too much.

I was told my our really reliable company mechanic that anything other than the OEM Ford filler neck will couse you grief. He did say he could spend some time looking for a good one for less, but they all have the same problem that many of your are experiencing.

Gas won't go in anymore, pump clicks off.....

Now I am cheap, and the truck is old, so I am wondering how many of you have purchased one online for anywhere from 70-120 bucks, they all look the same, but how do they really work?

I want to buy the cheap one and make it work, but if I get one and have the problem my mechanic told me I would, I might be a little upset.

So tell me, how many of you bought the cheap one and it works just fine?
Also, do you have to drop the tank, or have any of you squeezed it off/on with the tank installed?

Thanks!

WisdoM

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I picked one up off of e-bay...the inner hose was twisted inside the outer hose but other than having to fix that I havnt had any problems with it. I didnt drop my tank, I just pulled the bed off:icon_thumby: much quicker:icon_hornsup:

STP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice to hear that

and from a local socal too!

I'm going internet for the part, but lifting the bed seems like a lot more bolts and screws than the tank drop. I'm not sure which way I'm going.

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I tried to perform a fill-up on my brother's truck over the weekend. Click, click, click. I am gonna re-install the metal sleeve thing that I talked about (and didn't transfer over to the new filler neck) and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I am gonna try to move just the inner tube by loosening the upper clamp. Hopefully I can fix the issues. The filler neck I bought was not an OEM unit, but looked exactly like the stocker. I'll keep you guys posted.

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We removed the bed yesterday and fixed the filler neck problem. The inner hose was crimped due to the fact that I had to rotate the metal top part of the filler neck (the metal top was 180 degrees out from where it needed to be when I received it so I had to rotate). I noticed that the inner tube on the aftermarket piece was not as stiff as the stock inner tube. This is probably the main reason why people have problems with the aftermarket units. The stock inner tube will not bind/crimp, where the aftermarker inner tube will.

Anyways, I also re-installed the metal grommet thing as well. I don't think I will have any more problems now.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem on my Mazda b4000 after I changed the filler neck with a new one (it wouldn't fill up). the replacements seem to have a very flexible inner tube so for everyone going to replce their filler neck be sure to NOT TURN THE METAL HOUSING AT THE TOP AND KINK IT!!!! you will only make more trouble for youself. Oh and do yourself another favor and just remove the bed its WAY easier.

my .02

warment

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bed removal is the easiest approach. The 6 bolts though on my brother's 93 Ranger were really rusty. As a result, getting them out the first time can be difficult.

The best way to "clock" the top metal filler part is to pull the inner hose and top metal filler part out of the outer hose slightly, and then grab hold of the inner tube with your left hand and turn the top metal filler part with your right hand. This will prevent kinks in the inner hose.

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
We had a problem like this with a truck at work. You have to hold it just right and barely let any gas in. Takes forever to fill up. You can't just let the pump flow you just have to barely squeeze it and get the minimal amount out... its a real pain

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals