• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tulammo

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
OKay, a few issues I have with this video....

First off, SKS's were never intended to have a removable mag (note how he fiddles trying to put it in), and are KNOWN for having issues when converted. Second, I'm not a huge fan of how he had the weight of the gun on the mag bottom, which would put leverage on the mag.

Yet he STILL only had one stovepipe. I've used TulAmmo for several years since Walmart started carrying it. I've yet to have ONE issue with this ammo in any of the guns I own or have owned including:

-1945 Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R)
-1953 Russian SKS all original (7.63x39mm)
-Hungarian PA-63 (8x18mm MAK)
-WASR-10 (7.63x39mm)
-Tantal sporter (5.45x39mm)

The only ammo I can definitely say that has consistently let me down is WPA (Wolf) ammo, and Winchester.

I usually keep a stock of commerical and milsurp, since it's easier to find brass when there isn't snow on the ground:icon_twisted:

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
See? I really DO use TulAmmo :D

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i decided to convert my sks to detachable mags and it stovepipes every now and then regardless of which type of ammo i use. you have to file down each mag to get it to work right. i've noticed the metal mags take less work than the polymer/plastic ones. major PITA, i'll probably toss a factory mag back in it eventually.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
yeah i decided to convert my sks to detachable mags and it stovepipes every now and then regardless of which type of ammo i use. you have to file down each mag to get it to work right. i've noticed the metal mags take less work than the polymer/plastic ones. major PITA, i'll probably toss a factory mag back in it eventually.
I'd only consider it if I got a second cheap SKS to cut up/tacticool. No way Im cutting up a fresh from cosmoline to me Russky '53. Even then I'd stick with metal mags. I find the SKS more comfortable to fire than the AK's so it kinda makes sense to me to change up an SKS since I'd have the best of both worlds, but I still am leery of issues with the mag change.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
OKay, a few issues I have with this video....

First off, SKS's were never intended to have a removable mag (note how he fiddles trying to put it in), and are KNOWN for having issues when converted. Second, I'm not a huge fan of how he had the weight of the gun on the mag bottom, which would put leverage on the mag.

Yet he STILL only had one stovepipe. I've used TulAmmo for several years since Walmart started carrying it. I've yet to have ONE issue with this ammo in any of the guns I own or have owned including:

-1945 Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R)
-1953 Russian SKS all original (7.63x39mm)
-Hungarian PA-63 (8x18mm MAK)
-WASR-10 (7.63x39mm)
-Tantal sporter (5.45x39mm)

The only ammo I can definitely say that has consistently let me down is WPA (Wolf) ammo, and Winchester.

I usually keep a stock of commerical and milsurp, since it's easier to find brass when there isn't snow on the ground:icon_twisted:
Actually, common misconception, the SKS was originally designed with a removable mag in mind, it was ordered that he switch it to a fixed mag because at the time they didn't trust removable mags. As you can see, it works just fine in my gun ;)

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Actually, common misconception, the SKS was originally designed with a removable mag in mind, it was ordered that he switch it to a fixed mag because at the time they didn't trust removable mags. As you can see, it works just fine in my gun ;)
have you ever come across a paratrooper SKS? i'm not sure if that's what they're technically called, but they're shorter than a regular sks and use what look to be AK mags. dont really know for sure though. i saw one at a gun show and that's what the guy was calling it.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
have you ever come across a paratrooper SKS? i'm not sure if that's what they're technically called, but they're shorter than a regular sks and use what look to be AK mags. dont really know for sure though. i saw one at a gun show and that's what the guy was calling it.
yeah that's not a real military SKS, it was made by the chinese for export, they are...dodgy.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
yeah that's not a real military SKS, it was made by the chinese for export, they are...dodgy.
That's what I'd heard as well. So that's you in the video? That's a Yugo SKS isn't it? I've heard certain year ranges have chrome lines barrels and some don't. You like it? If I did get a second SKS, it'd probably be a Yugoslavian since I see so many around for less than $300.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's what I'd heard as well. So that's you in the video? That's a Yugo SKS isn't it? I've heard certain year ranges have chrome lines barrels and some don't. You like it? If I did get a second SKS, it'd probably be a Yugoslavian since I see so many around for less than $300.
it's not chromed, but it doesn't need to be.

as for 'cutting up' there is zero cutting involved in putting a detachable mag on, you just remove the fixed mag. you can put it back in about 2 minutes.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I just ran 200 rnds of Tulammo .223 through my AR with no problems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals