• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Noisy front suspension (drivers side)

hey-you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.oL
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, I'm just starting to play with suspension on my truck (I'm taking my time learning one piece at a time)...

In the last couple of days I've had squeeky suspension develop: drivers side and its a high pitched squeek..... whenever I hit the smallest ridge in the road. If I push down on the front driver's side I can recreate this in the driveway, although the same action creats nothing on the passanger side.

So the question: something i should be worried about? or just something that needs a wash and lubrication? If so what? i know the snow is starting to melt here, so there is alot more grime and dirt coming up off the roads.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Dunno but mayb rad arm bushing? I do know they tend to squeek a bit.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Is this your 1999 in your profile? I see that it's 2wd, but it still may have torsion bars. I don't know how to fix you problem, I just wanted to point out to other members that you have the newer IFS suspension on your truck, not TTB/TIB.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Could be a bad ball joint, control arm bushings could be dry, spring could be a bit loose, shock could be going bad.

Just a couple Ideas, I had the same problem before and I think it could be your control arm bushings. But thats just my 2 cents.

98greenrangerguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Check your front sway bar bushings. My passenger side bushing has the same annoying squeek.

hey-you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.oL
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, its a 1999 2WD.

My understanding is that it would then have:
"gas pressurized shock absorbers and coil springs" in the front suspension although I also see torsion bars in the Haynes picture, suposedly the torsion bars are on the 4WD version. (I'm quoting the Haynes manual, which I have here to look at the pictures of what you are suggesting.

The balljoints should be good as they were done in November. I'll start checking the other areas though. Is a sway bar the same as the stabilizer bar?

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, its a 1999 2WD.

The balljoints should be good as they were done in November. I'll start checking the other areas though. Is a sway bar the same as the stabilizer bar?
yup.

theHOELstudio

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem

I started having that problem about 4 years ago. I had 3 mechanics look at the front end and tell me it was fine (including a Ford dealer!)

A few days ago I was turning into an elevated driveway and heard a thunk. I didn't check it out then as it was about 2am, and I thought I may have hit the bumper on the driveway. I then forgot about it.

It just happened to me again. This time there was no way I could have scraped the bumper. I got out and looked and this is what I saw. I don't know what this is. Can someone tell me and tell me how bad it is to drive on it? My mechanic lives about 50 miles away.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
TheHOELstudio, you'll still be able to drive, but what happened is the bolt that holds the sway bar (stabilizer bar) broke off.

Call Ford or a local auto parts store and they should be able to get you some replacement parts to fix that.

The only difference that you will notice is that the body might "roll" (tilt) to one side when you take corners.

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
I have never seen a newer rwd ranger with torsion bars. I agree with sway bar bushings, ball joints, and upper control arm bushings as being the MOST LIKELY squeak. If there are rwd rangers with torsion bars someone let me know I have yet to see one. If the links were broken like in the picture then it would also make a slew of other noises, knocking/cracking noises. Also grab the tie rod linkage and make sure that the outers pivot/twist. you may need a 21mm wrench on the jamb nut to turn them to check for dry sockets and DONT loosen the nuts by accident!
________
Yamaha Bruin 350

Last edited:

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I have never seen a newer rwd ranger with torsion bars. I agree with sway bar bushings, ball joints, and upper control arm bushings as being the MOST LIKELY squeak. If there are rwd rangers with torsion bars someone let me know I have yet to see one. If the links were broken like in the picture then it would also make a slew of other noises, knocking/cracking noises. Also grab the tie rod linkage and make sure that the outers pivot/twist. you may need a 21mm wrench on the jamb nut to turn them to check for dry sockets and DONT loosen the nuts by accident!
2wd drive Rangers with torsion bar front suspension came on the EDGE models in 2001 - 2003 and I believr they were still EDGEs in 04 and 05, and the torsion bar suspension is also on the new "sport" package.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals