• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fishing haida gwaii

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
folks come from all over the world to fish here,so i try to take advantage of living two minutes from the boat launch whenever i can sneak away from work.

figured i may as well put up a thread to show what's up.

boat's in the water and i'm ready to hunt the elusive halibut.

on the way out of the harbour the local bus is pulling up to the stop.these guys are pretty important to an isolated island community.

my fishing partner.better conversation than most of the people i know,and she loves to check out the catch.

my first stop is at a little hali hole off the old haida village of yan,at the north end of masset inlet.it's a good spot to get all the gear set up,and while i've pulled some really nice fish from here,this trip didn't pan out.that's ok,my plan was to head to yakan point anyway.

this is the village site.it's been abandoned since the smallpox outbreak of the late 1800s,but is still maintained by local haida families.the totem and longhouse were put up about 30 years ago.

that's the direction i'm heading.it's about 25 km to yakan,fortunately the water's realatively calm so i can make some good time.

on the way to yakan i go through the pass at entry point,where there's a large sandbar that's home to eagles and seals,as well as a variety of other transient wildlife.the zoom on the camera from a rocking boat doesn't give the clearest picture,but you can make out what they are.

here's some of the seals checking me out.they all come scrambling off the beach when a boat comes by,it's quite a sight.

at yakan i was pulling up quite a few of these little beasts,in the 10-15lb range.since there's a one fish per day limit on halibut,i like to get something bigger to improve my return on the investment of the trip out.
so,the little guys went back to the bottom to grow some more.

after several hours(and being ready to call it a bad day of fishing,this guy came along.
i fish hali with 4 rods,two hali rods at the front of the boat,and my two salmon rods at the rear mounts.this guy took the hook on my lighter salmon rod,set up with 30lb line and a barbless 4/0 hook.it was a long,carefull fight to bring it in without snapping the line,as this is a 53lb fish and these things are strong swimmers.
after it went back to the bottom only to have me drag it back up 5 times it was getting tired enough that i was able to get the spear on it.when the point went in and the float line was set,it took off so fast it snapped the leader on the tackle,but it was too late for it by then.i waited about 30 seconds for the float on the spear line to surface again,then retrieved it and pulled this beast in.
hail here get to be over 300lbs,but anything over about 80 is not very good to eat.50lbs is a nice balance of edibillity and meat return.this one gave me about 30lbs of meat....fresh hali goes for $25-30lb in vancouver,so that's some valuable freezer filler.

for those not familliar with halibut,heres a pair from the top i got earlier.these fish lay flat on the bottom,with the white side down.because of this,their left eye has migrated to the right side of their head,so both look up for potential meals swimming by.they are abush predators that swallow prey(such as crab,squid,and other bottom dwellers as well as injured fish that come to the bottom)whole.the mottled brown coloring on the top side is such good camo you can be looking right at one on the bottom and not know it's there untill it moves.

anyway,now that i've got my hali on board,it's time to get a chinook.these salmon are currently hanging around at wiah point,about a 35km boat ride from yakan,so i put the hammer down.about 40 minutes later i was there,and set up the downriggers.

as i got my gear in the water and started trolling,one of the lodge boats close by was pulling in a nice fish,so it was looking good.

about 10 minutes later i got this guy.i was satisfied with the day,so i set out for home.i'm allowed two chinook per day,but there's no need to get greedy...when i want more,i can just go out and get it.

by the way,i would have liked to have had some action shots of pulling up the fish,but my attempts at showing my fishing partner the finer points of photography have only got me pics of dog spit on the lens.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm slightly envious. Its been too many years since I've done any coast fishing. Glad you're taking the time to post so I can live vicariously.
Cheers,

Richard

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm slightly envious. Its been too many years since I've done any coast fishing. Glad you're taking the time to post so I can live vicariously.
Cheers,

Richard
well,i figure i'll use this thread to show some of my trips out this season.my first trip was march 1st,and there's been many between then and now,but it was seeing the addition of this sub-forum that got me to bring the camera with me.
saw killer whales going by a few days ago,but had no camera with me that time.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
nice stuff.. I wanna go!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
at yakan i was pulling up quite a few of these little beasts,in the 10-15lb range.since there's a one fish per day limit on halibut,i like to get something bigger to improve my return on the investment of the trip out.
so,the little guys went back to the bottom to grow some more.

Your partner isn't nearly as impressed as I am. :icon_thumby:

IIRC from gradeschool flounder (I suppose halibut would be similar) start out like a normal fish with an eye on each side, but the one migrates over as the fish ages.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your partner isn't nearly as impressed as I am. :icon_thumby:

IIRC from gradeschool flounder (I suppose halibut would be similar) start out like a normal fish with an eye on each side, but the one migrates over as the fish ages.
this is the case with hali as well....they are quite closely related to flounder.they start out looking a bit more conventional as babies,but then everything heads to places you'd think they shouldn't be.....go figure:icon_confused:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well,had an interesting thing happen.

i was working on a boat yesterday when a guy pulled in the driveway,said he was visiting from the east coast of the usa(maryland,to be exact)and didn't want to pay the $1000 a day the lodges charge for a fishing trip.
did i know anyone that would take him out for a half day for $500? he asked.

well,i told him i'd be quite happy to take him out for a full day,and throw in some on-the-water sightseeing while we were at it.

pulled 12 hali into the boat,kept two.got a couple of salmon.stopped for lunch at refuge island and saw a bear across the channel.

paid for my fuel and bait and still put $350 in my pocket.

not a bad way to spend a day.the owner of the campsite he's staying at says there's a big demand for lower-cost trips like this.....might be able to get used to this sort of thing.hmmmmm.:D

sorry,no pics.
btw,he didn't want to keep the fish,so i got more for the freezer.had fresh hali for dinner:icon_thumby:

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
im envious of the world you live in, i haved lived only miles from the chesapeake bay down here in virginia for 6 years and never fished it once. originally from michigan, where i fished my youth away.....just doesnt feel the same here.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
*sigh* I'm in Texas selling insurance and this looks so peaceful. I'm green with envy =(

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im envious of the world you live in, i haved lived only miles from the chesapeake bay down here in virginia for 6 years and never fished it once. originally from michigan, where i fished my youth away.....just doesnt feel the same here.
*sigh* I'm in Texas selling insurance and this looks so peaceful. I'm green with envy =(
the fella i was fishing with yesterday was talking about having fished chesapeake bay,and the thing he couldn't believe about fishing here was the lack of traffic on the water.he said on the east coast it's like a l.a. freeway on the water.

i really enjoy it here,wish i'd moved here years earlier,though the winters can be a bit long and wet.our short summers seem to make up for it,though.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i dont want to brag, but last week i brought in a 3" sunfish off of my canoe in a dirty lake.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, i dont want to brag, but last week i brought in a 3" sunfish off of my canoe in a dirty lake.
nothin wrong with that.i've done lots of pond fishing in canoes,usually for rainbow trout,but i was happy to hook anything.

just got a call from a buddy that wants to go camping at rennel sound next weekend.it's a long drive down logging roads to get there(about 4 hours)but it's way worth the trip.it's the only spot on the west coast of the island to launch a boat(i live on the north coast)and it's remoteness leads to an amazing experience on the water.
i'll be getting chinook,coho,hali,red snapper,ling cod,as well as prawns and crab.will head down on the friday afternoon,and come back monday....or tuesday.
or whenever.

i should put up a map or something to show where these places i'm talking about are,though they can all be found on google earth:icon_cheers:.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

here's a basic map of the islands with some of the key spots i'll mention in this thread labelled.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Right that's added to my bucket list!

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Right that's added to my bucket list!
well,if you make it here before i kick the bucket i'd be pleased to show you around:icon_cheers:

i made it down to rennell sound last weekend,and it was fantastic!

i didn't get around to taking too many photos,but i got a few.started out friday afternoon by loading the camper onto stretch and hooking up the boat.
it was a four hour treck to rennell(1 1/2 on highway,2 1/2 on logging roads)but i pulled into camp at 8:30 that evening.too late to launch,but a good time to break out the smokies and beer.

saturday morning dawned to pefect fishing conditions.full sun gets too hot in an open boat,so overcast is nice(as long as it's not raining)

started hooking springs almost right away.i couldn't believe how many were biting,so i was just fighting them in and letting them go again.great fun!

while jigging for halibut i was pulling up a few of these little sharks.this ones about 4' long.sent them back home,i don't need them.

hard to see in this picture,but there's a little spine on each of the top fins.you need to be carefull of these when handling the little beasts as if you get stuck by one it's going to be a pain filled weekend.

sunday looked pretty good too.more springs,released a few tyees(a tyee is a spring salmon that weighs over 30lbs...it's the prize of a salmon fisherman)and had a sea lion steal a 40-pounder while i was bringing it in.bugger played with it right in front of me for about 5 minutes,what a show-off.

monday's my last day,so it's time for some keepers.once again they were on the hook in no time flat.

those look like they'll make a dinner or two.time to pack up camp and head back home.

coho's are being caught out of masset now,so i'll have to get back in the water quick.they tend to run in large schools,so when you get over some they hook as fast as you can get the line in the water.scrappy little fighters,too....and good eating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals